Jabiru 3300

For technical discussion of ALL Jabiru aircraft engines.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Jabiru 3300

Post by Gary H »

Looking for anyone who has any good ideas on keeping the engine cool
Will fly for food!!
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Are you still having trouble with the engine temperature, Gary?

Let me know in case some help is needed, I fly the Jab 3300 myself.

Best regards,
Jersey
Touch Heaven ..... Kiss a Pilot!
love2fly

Re: Jabiru 3300

Post by love2fly »

A company called Rotec is selling aftermarket water cooled replacement heads for Jabiru engines. No opinion or experience with them.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Re: Jabiru 3300

Post by ftcaruso »

I now have 22 hours on my engine since I had the Rotec water cooled heads installed and I am well pleased with the results. I have knocked a good 100 degrees off of the cylinder head temperatures, which now range in the 215-255 range. The highest temperature that I have seen thus far has been 281 on just one of the cylinders, and during a prolonged climb. Once I leveled off that immediately dropped by 20 degrees. My oil temperatures have also benefited with it normally now indicating 175 -180 degrees. That 180 temperature is also what my cooling water runs at with the electric pump more than adequate to circulate it through the oversized radiator which is located beneath but tucked out of sight at my lower cowl. It was a very professional and neat installation done by a combined effort of the Just Aircraft factory people and LSA mechanic Billy Payne (Just Plane Fun Days), from the mountains of North Carolina. Since my mechanical expertise is limited to “lefty loosie, righty tightie”, I left it to the professionals to do the job.

While not an inexpensive mod, (I could have purchased a Rotex 912 for less than the final price of my 3300( it has done the job and I can finally fly my Highlander (which now has over 250 tach hours on this engine and well over 300 hours hobbs time). without overheating concerns. I believe that these cooler temperatures will bode well for the engine and may very well get me to the advertised overhaul hours.

Frank T Caruso

Return to “Jabiru Engine Technical Discussions”