Upgrade to Dual-Caliper Brakes

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Upgrade to Dual-Caliper Brakes

Post by SheepdogRD »

When I decided to run big wheels and tires, I ordered Matco’s upgrade to dual calipers for the brakes. Just Aircraft calls it the “E-brake” upgrade. With bigger tires, the larger-than-stock diameter means a longer braking moment arm, so we need the extra stopping power of the additional calipers. The upgrade was less than $300 with shipping.

One thing to note: the additional calipers are supplied with new brake mounting plates. The original brakes are mounted with AN4-5A bolts, AN960-416 washers, and AN365-428A nyloc nuts, using two per side. No additional bolts are supplied. To use four bolts per side, you’ll want to order four more bolts, washers, and nyloc nuts.

Be careful drilling the mounting holes in the new brake mounting plates. There’s a proper way to orient the mounting plates so the calipers can be removed for inspection and maintenance. Unfortunately, there are orientations that look right, but cause interference with the gear legs. My front calipers face exactly to the front -- they're in line with the front gear leg. Check before you drill, because doing it wrong -- which I did, dangit! -- means ordering replacement plates from Matco, and they cost another $65, delivered. You want to be able to get a socket or wrench on the silver (inner) nuts in the image below.

Right Main Gear.png

The standard brakes in the kit include two MC-4 master cylinders and two MC-5 master cylinders with integral reservoirs. I chose not to use the master cylinders with integral reservoirs, because I’ve read complaints about adding fluid making a mess on the floorboards. I used all MC-4 master cylinders and got the remote reservoir kit (MCR-100K), which will go on the engine side of the firewall. The difference in price if you order them as part of the kit is about $40.

At Steve Henry’s recommendation, I also ordered all 1/8” brake lines and fittings, instead of the standard 1/4” system. The remote reservoir kit with 1/8” fittings is MCR-108K.

One other change: I shipped my master cylinders back to Matco to have intensifiers installed. Steve Henry made this comment: “Put Matco’s intensifiers in the master cylinders and always take the master cylinders loose so they can be properly bled of air, and they are as powerful as Beringer’s. Not nearly as pretty but they really do work well when you get them properly set up. Without intensifiers and if they are not properly bled, then yes, they can be terribly weak.”

It’s less than $200 to have the intensifiers installed, including shipping both ways. If you order the intensifiers with the master cylinders, it’s under $150. That makes the Matco installation about $2000 less than installing Beringer brakes and wheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SheepdogRD on Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Upgrade to Dual-Caliper Brakes

Post by AV8R Paul »

Do you put a large diameter between the axel spacer & the flange mount on the landing gear?
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Good Talking with you today Richard.

I have decided I am going to start posting in the Forum again. As I have told Richard, although Facebook is easy to use, I can't stand supporting Facebook, because of their Anti - Freedom of Speech Bull S**t. I am tired of them blocking me for my comments. The constant suspensions, because they don't like my post on using Hydroxicloriquin (Spelling??) for when I got Covid etc, has made me to decide to start minimizing my use of Facebook.

I have started work on installing my wheels & brakes. The one thing you need to be aware of is you want to be able to remove both Calipers without having to take the wheels off of the plane. One of the pictures shows me removing the calipers. it will enable you to replace the brake pads.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well after a summer of problems with Diverticulitus & Hernia issues, I have finally got back onto my project. I had been working on the brake lines. I had put on the braided brake lines I purchased at the local speed shop for about $100. They had all different length with fittings installed I just had to measure and go pick them off of the shelf, they also had a lot of AN hardware. In the attached screen capture you can see the Braded Brake Lise were relatively inexpensive, and I got the longest Brake Line for less than shipping would cost from Aircraft Spruce. I got the 90 degree pass through fitting there and I didn't spend more than $125 for everything. I had originally installed the brake line with some short pieces of clear fuel line that was kind of yellowed, it looked like hell. I decide to go to Lowe's and I found some plumbing PVC Clear Tubing. I purchased a 20 foot roll for $6.99. I cut pieces that went from the brake caliper to just under the fuselage, split it down the side and the pushed it on the brake lines. I then got some Grip Lock Ties Industrial Zip Ties, with the rubberized wear pad on the mounting side in blue. I used 5 ties down each gear leg. I had made some aluminum plates about 3" X 2" with a hole to git the feed through AN fitting in it so I could mount the pass through fitting. I used fender washers, & some nylon washers on each side of the pass through for washers, and bolted them in place. I also have braded brake line going from the pass through fittings to the brake lock valve. I personally think it came out looking pretty sweet.
The next time I go out I am planning on mounting the Wings, and putting in place and start working on the instument pannel & the wiring. I plan on putting connectors at the wing root for the Landing/Wig Wag Lights, the Wing Timp Marker Lights, and the Magnetometer to the wiring going to the instrument panel. Once I get the Wing on & the Wiring on then on to the Instument Panel & Wiring.
Oh the tires were suppose to be the Desser Smoothies 22" but the Factory gave me just the standard kit supplied tires. I didn't check them at the factory, so they are what they are, check your orders.
I received the Connectors in the mail, an was planning to start working on the Wing Wiring, but Sunday Night I went in for Emergency Hernia Surgery. It's going to be 5 weeks of recovery, lifting nothing that weighs more than 5 pounds. However, now it shouldn't give me any further problems. The Doctor says I will need to hire people to do the heavy lifting. So some local kids will get to learn about the hobby of building an airplane.

Here is the WWW Web address for Smilie's Speed Shop if you are interested. I'll post a screen capture that shows the length you can order pre-fabricated.
www . smileysracing . com
IMG_2541.jpeg
IMG_4810.jpeg
IMG_4809 2.jpeg
IMG_4812.jpeg
IMG_4813 2.jpeg
IMG_4816 2.jpeg
IMG_4817.jpeg
IMG_4818 2.jpeg
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 1.17.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 12.40.00 PM.png
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Very sharp. Nice work.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Just an FYI for those that haven't bought brakes yet - the Beringer brake disc is larger diameter, and gives better leverage. I am now running 35" Bushwheels with one caliper and it holds very well. The disc on the 10" wheels is HUGE!!

When I had the Beringer 6" wheels and 31" tires, the 6" brakes would barely hold a full power run up (180hp). But I am sure they would hold with a smaller tire. I did like the braking power though, I could really stand on them if I had too and it would bring the tail up and slow down quick, but I never worried about accidently grabbing the brakes too hard and flipping over.

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”