Your moderator needs some bungee help please

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Your moderator needs some bungee help please

Post by scubarider2 »

It has been several years (over 10) since I have tried to replace the bungee system on my Escapade/Highlander. The first time I flew the plane close to the Just plant and Troy looked over the plane and said the bungees were too lose. So he said to pick the wing up, he got under it and made it right by hand. Well, I just tried doing that and there is NO WAY I can stretch that bungee tight enough. I only took one off and was going to follow the pattern putting the other on. I need advice on how to do this. I did it the first time in a vice and still had a hard time. OR, is there another system out there that will fit my plane other than bungees?
Any and all advice, suggestions are welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: Your moderator needs some bungee help please

Post by scubarider2 »

From bottom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

With one removed
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I made a fixture (about a 3’ 2x4 with a hole in it for a bolt to hold one end of your strut, the other end bolted to my garage door track at the bottom. The other end of the strut was bolted to the door track and about 30* off vertical so the strut could not move). This , with a quick-grip clamp to occasional hold the bungee from unwinding, allowed me to really pull with my legs in an upward motion and get all the wraps on. You step on the end of the board and pull up on the bungee to stretch it. Obviously this requires strut removal.

Also, as somebody once said (pretty sure it was Troy) “Put down your purse and do it” (or something like that)
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Thought about pulling the struts off as well. However, my thought was if Troy can do it by hand under my plane, so can I. But having my doubts now. Maybe need to put that purse down for sure!!! :D :D :D
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Would TK1 Shock Monsters be an option? About $2,500. I Love mine on my Highlander.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I just replaced my bungees with the gear on the plane and it turned out not as difficult as I thought. I had a helper, as I stretched the bungee around the bar, I had my helper clamp the bungee to the bar with a padded quick grip bar clamp. I could then move around to a better position and re-grip, when I was ready my helper would release the clamp for the next pull. I just kept repeating the process and as said, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You're going to need a good quality clamp. I have a bunch of cheap Harbor Freight type clamps, I doubt they would have worked. Your helper needs to be strong enough to give a good grip on the clamp and flexible enough to crawl around under the plane with you. If I had to do it over I would have worn gloves from the start rather than waiting till my hands were sore.

DO NOT put a screwdriver through the eye in the bungee so you can use it as a two handed handle. I tried that, the swage slipped and now I have a bungee with a large eye on one end and a teeny-tiny eye on the other end. That customized bungee is for sale, $100 and I'll pay the shipping.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I looked at the shock monsters. However not sure if they would work on tricycle gear. Possible? Can you send a picture of yours?
I had a friend come over and we looked at it together. We came up with the same idea of us using some type of clamp. Maybe vice grips? Something that would not tear them....
Will keep you posted. Thanks guys! This has really stumped me and I don't like coming to a standstill on something I can't figure out. I just got back from Lockwood (10 hour drive) and had a new sprag clutch put in, inspected the gear box and checked the modules. Finally putting in the custom windshield. Working on one of the leaking breaks. Putting the new bungees on. And putting the motor back in.
Dennis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I used “real” quick grip clamps when I did mine (off the airplane). I had bought a bunch of the harbor freight ones, unless they changed them A LOT, they are not worth the $4 or whatever I paid. All broke under moderate pressure (not clamping bungees, just wood). The Irwin clamps are a bit pricy, but never had one break and I put a lot of pressure on them. Probably more than I should.

When I took the struts off, I put one tire on a wheel dolly (HF furniture dolly would be perfect) and a ratchet strap between the axles. Crank it just tight enough to get the tension off the bolts. The dolly just allowed me to easily move the leg in and out to get the bolts in/out. Super easy.

As for the screwdriver, don’t ever do that. If it slips you stab yourself with tremendous force. I saw a guy doing something similar with needle nose pliers (not on a bungee, but same principal) stab himself in the eye when it slipped. Almost lost his eye, and he was wearing safety glasses.

Also, you want a large, padded jaw. Vise grip jaws generally have teeth that can damage the bungee, and they put force on too small of a point.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Ok, found a friend willing to help me give it a try. Got a pair of old vice grips that were a bit warn so no biting teeth. I pulled with everything I had then wrapped it around one end. He pinched it together with the grip. Then I did the next wrap and continued that way. We got one bungee on!!! Success! Now for three more. :)

Return to “Just Aircraft”