SuperStol Fabric Backing Plates & Elevator access plates

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol Fabric Backing Plates & Elevator access plates

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Right side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Maybe too much hysol, but better than not enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

May trim some off top front corner yet, will see.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Probably way too much hysol.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Once hysol gets a bit tacky you can wipe it smooth with a alcohol swab.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I just made fabric reinforcement dollies around the landing rear/wing strut attach points. The fabric fits snugly around those structures and it works fine for a plane that flies as slow as ours.

On that plate under the handle. I suggest you run a straight edge on the top side of the plate to the top of the center stringer and bend the plate until the straight edge runs flush along the plate. If that plate is not aligned with the center stringer there will be an obvious bulge under the fabric along the top edge of the plate. If the plate is very flexible you may be able to bend it while you are shrinking the fabric but you run the risk of popping the plate loose from the hysol. Then you're stuck trying to fix it after it's been covered. (at least that's the sort of thing than happens in my world) Run a piece of string or a strip of fabric between the center stringer and the plate. If it bends going over the top edge of plate, that's what your finished fabric is going to look like.

I had a lot of trouble working with the hysol. It seems to go everywhere you don't want. I used tape to mask the areas I didn't want hysol. After applying, and while the hysol was still wet, I removed the tape and managed to get a better result. In the photos of the elevator access plates it looks like there is hysol that stands up proud of the plates and the tubing. If you can run your finger along there and feel the hysol, those bumps will show through the fabric when your done. I suggest you try to smooth those out (sandpaper, small file, dremel tool) as best you can without damaging the plates or powder coating on the tubing. This is not a big deal, it will not make any difference in the way your plane flies, but speaking from experience, every time you look at your plane your eye will be drawn to those little imperfections and wish you had done it differently.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Fabric Backing Plates for belly gear attach points. Scuffed with Bonderite C-IC 33(Acid Etching), and Alodined after. Epoxy primer next.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Tralika wrote:I just made fabric reinforcement dollies around the landing rear/wing strut attach points. The fabric fits snugly around those structures and it works fine for a plane that flies as slow as ours.

On that plate under the handle. I suggest you run a straight edge on the top side of the plate to the top of the center stringer and bend the plate until the straight edge runs flush along the plate. If that plate is not aligned with the center stringer there will be an obvious bulge under the fabric along the top edge of the plate. If the plate is very flexible you may be able to bend it while you are shrinking the fabric but you run the risk of popping the plate loose from the hysol. Then you're stuck trying to fix it after it's been covered. (at least that's the sort of thing than happens in my world) Run a piece of string or a strip of fabric between the center stringer and the plate. If it bends going over the top edge of plate, that's what your finished fabric is going to look like.

I had a lot of trouble working with the hysol. It seems to go everywhere you don't want. I used tape to mask the areas I didn't want hysol. After applying, and while the hysol was still wet, I removed the tape and managed to get a better result. In the photos of the elevator access plates it looks like there is hysol that stands up proud of the plates and the tubing. If you can run your finger along there and feel the hysol, those bumps will show through the fabric when your done. I suggest you try to smooth those out (sandpaper, small file, dremel tool) as best you can without damaging the plates or powder coating on the tubing. This is not a big deal, it will not make any difference in the way your plane flies, but speaking from experience, every time you look at your plane your eye will be drawn to those little imperfections and wish you had done it differently.
Thanks, Ive done some of the conventional fabric on my Chinook, and if i was using the traditional fabric i would do it like you say, but with the Oratex Lars suggests this, so just trying to do what he says works best for Oratex. The handle plate yes i ran a straight edge from the handle down in a few places(then waited for the hysol to dry), the top yes i was thinking of trimming the front part. I put hysol so far only on the bottom edge of the longeron for the handle, now that its dry i will try to hold the hysol side(so i dont pop it off the hsyol like you say...which i have experienced...sometimes it dont stick the best)...and try to bend the top where it needs to be...havent got that far yet. And yes some of the hysol will leave patterns under the Oratex, but the ones that dont look any different than a weld im not too worried about. I found out once the hysol is getting tacky a wipe with a alcohol pad yo can smear the hysol smooth.
Thanks for the tips
Whats all the fittings in your pic...are they float fittings?...is that a hylander?
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Yes, Highlander. Three landing gear fittings and the wing strut attachment fitting.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Aft gear attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Pic looking from ground up of the front gear attach point backing plate.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Front gear attach point looking from front and from ground looking up.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Front gear attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Front gear attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Front gear attach point.

Return to “Just Aircraft”