SuperStol Fabric Backing Plates & Elevator access plates

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

SuperStol Fabric Backing Plates & Elevator access plates

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Backing plates for access to the rear elevator pushrod fork. Alodined and Epoxy Primed. Floating #6 nut plates for Lexan to attach to. The smaller two are for the bottom (one for each side). These are hysoled in place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol Fabric Backing Plates & Elevator access plates

Tomorrow I will remove the clamps and put more hysol where the clamps are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Rear of tail handle fabric backing plate. I put angle aluminum clamped to the 1/2” aluminum stringer and bottom longeron to hold the backing plate to where it needs to be when touching the fabric.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Tail handle fabric backing plate also made from 0.020” 6061 T6, and Alodined and primed with Epoxy primer like the rest. This is made in one piece and I made a slit in it on bottom side of handle to be able to slide it on. I’m hoping the hysol holds the slit together good, it will show show the Oratex but oh well.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

My hand will have lots of room.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Can only load one pic at a time sometimes
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

It definitely took some time
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:Rear of tail handle fabric backing plate. I put angle aluminum clamped to the 1/2” aluminum stringer and bottom longeron to hold the backing plate to where it needs to be when touching the fabric.
In my opinion this is not needed. When I covered my plane I backed this spot under the handle with a piece of fabric which I glued to the large piece of fabric that covers the side of the plane. On the advice of another builder I reinforced the area under and around the handle with another piece of fabric to protect from fingers grabbing the handle. The tape over the longaron covers the seams. Nothing is glued to the longaron, it's very strong, no seam visible.

In the photo you can see the piece of fabric under the handle before the the side of the fuselage is covered. Under that piece of fabric is parchment paper (nothing sticks to parchment paper). After the side of the fuselage is covered, I glued that piece of fabric, from the inside, to the fabric covering the fuselage. After the glue dries it's just a matter of pulling out the parchment paper and shrinking the fabric as usual. Obviously you have to cover the left side of the plane first so you have access to the back side of the handle.

If you're not familiar with parchment paper (like me before my wife told me about it) it's used for baking and can be found in the grocery store next to the wax paper and saran wrap. Great to use to protect anyplace you don't want glue. As said, nothing sticks to it.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Tralika wrote:
CanadianSheepHunter wrote:Rear of tail handle fabric backing plate. I put angle aluminum clamped to the 1/2” aluminum stringer and bottom longeron to hold the backing plate to where it needs to be when touching the fabric.
In my opinion this is not needed. When I covered my plane I backed this spot under the handle with a piece of fabric which I glued to the large piece of fabric that covers the side of the plane. On the advice of another builder I reinforced the area under and around the handle with another piece of fabric to protect from fingers grabbing the handle. The tape over the longaron covers the seams. Nothing is glued to the longaron, it's very strong, no seam visible.

In the photo you can see the piece of fabric under the handle before the the side of the fuselage is covered. Under that piece of fabric is parchment paper (nothing sticks to parchment paper). After the side of the fuselage is covered, I glued that piece of fabric, from the inside, to the fabric covering the fuselage. After the glue dries it's just a matter of pulling out the parchment paper and shrinking the fabric as usual. Obviously you have to cover the left side of the plane first so you have access to the back side of the handle.

If you're not familiar with parchment paper (like me before my wife told me about it) it's used for baking and can be found in the grocery store next to the wax paper and saran wrap. Great to use to protect anyplace you don't want glue. As said, nothing sticks to it.
Thanks, did you do the same for the bottom wing attach points and front gear attach points?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Bottom attach point for wing.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Bottom right wing attach point.
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:Bottom attach point for wing.
I’m wondering if the flanges on the strut attach can be remover for the SS? I assume these are for the Highlander? That would make a smooth fabric attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Right bottom wing strut attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BlainS wrote:
CanadianSheepHunter wrote:Bottom attach point for wing.
I’m wondering if the flanges on the strut attach can be remover for the SS? I assume these are for the Highlander? That would make a smooth fabric attach point.
Some day I will use them as a float attach point. Also will be handy for ski rigging attach point.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Left side.

Return to “Just Aircraft”