Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

I attached fabric to the tail handle backing plate first, and then cut strips then heated and stretched fabric onto the top stringer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Attached to tail handle backing plate first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

These pics before any shrinking
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Before shrinking
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

After shrinking with heat gun, and only some with iron. Will shrink more with iron once other 1/2 is on to prevent bending 1/2” top stringer and also to prevent bending vertical fin(think my fuselodge rotator is preventing some bending on vertical fin already. Making the top of tail handle backing plate short worked well...I just made sure to cut fabric horizontally below the tail handle to the top fabric had enough backing plate to grab.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Excellent Job! Looks great, I know you're happy to have one side done. Now to replicate it on the other side and you'll have the toughest part over with.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:Excellent Job! Looks great, I know you're happy to have one side done. Now to replicate it on the other side and you'll have the toughest part over with.

Clark
Thanks Clark, this was a Solo job too!...i started cleaning the fuseloge with alcohol at 10:30 am(scuffed day before)...i got the fabric on by 4am that day !! And shrunk it a couple days later(got busy).
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Did all your backing plates workout as you planned? Did you miss placing any?

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:Did all your backing plates workout as you planned? Did you miss placing any?

Clark
Yes they worked great, i did miss two for the lower cable attach point for flying wires of horizontal stabilizer which im adding now. And tempted to make small small ones for where the flying wires attach to vertical stab. The ones i made for lower strut attach blend in good enough for me!
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Excellent!
Cave Creek, AZ
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Clark in AZ wrote:Did all your backing plates workout as you planned? Did you miss placing any?

Clark
Making a Plates now for this lower flying wire attach point. And I’m happy enough how the lower strut attach point backing plate looks...I’ll add some sealant yet to lower strut attach point just where Fabric meets strut attach point...just a thin bead and then smooth it over with finger.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Now THAT is is how it should be done folks!

Nice job Ken
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

Here’s something I haven’t seen addressed. Drip of glue inside. I was applying glue between stringer and fabric after final shrink. Didn’t wipe it off. Here is drip inside and same drip on the outside. No heat applied yet. Now, to compound this everywhere I drizzled glue between stringer and fabric ended up looking just like this. Picture the full length of side and belly stringers with horrible glue distortions. (So frustrated I couldn’t bring myself to take pictures) Maybe it would have been a different outcome if I had brushed the glue in place but I thought the idea was to keep debris out. I seriously doubt a thin brush coat would protect this area. So all day with scotchbrite, Emory cloth, and vinegar. Still not done.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

In case you didn't know, if its not heat set you can remove it with vinegar. That's assuming you can reach it. If it has been heat set, I found you can use this to remove it, works pretty good. Gum shoe material.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

Fortunately I didn’t directly heat it. I was working the iron in the vicinity of the side stringers. Add to that it was over 100 degrees here today. Vinegar isn’t the magic bullet either. In the big picture I saved it, only lost 1 day and leaned a big lesson.

Return to “Just Aircraft”