Airspeed indicator markings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
fiferphil
Premium Member

Airspeed indicator markings

Post by fiferphil »

Hi everybody

Hope you all have had a joyous and blessed Thanksgiving. (and that you didn't cut too deeply into your useful load after all the sumptous feasting. :lol: )

Got a couple of questions about the airspeed incicator markings...(for the Highlander)

1. What are the values for Vs0 (Bottom of the White arc), Vs1 (bottom of the Green Arc), Vfe(top of white arc ) Vno (top of Green arc) , and Vne (Red Line at top of yellow arc, Vyse (blue radial line) ...just kidding on that one -- I think I got 'em all listed... AND...

2. Does any manufacture custom install these markings for the highlander on the guage or am I gonna hafta paint 'em on myself? Oooooh what a mess that'll be.

Thanks
Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: Airspeed indicator markings

Post by xpflyr »

fiferphil wrote:Hi everybody

Hope you all have had a joyous and blessed Thanksgiving. (and that you didn't cut too deeply into your useful load after all the sumptous feasting. :lol: )

Got a couple of questions about the airspeed incicator markings...(for the Highlander)

1. What are the values for Vs0 (Bottom of the White arc), Vs1 (bottom of the Green Arc), Vfe(top of white arc ) Vno (top of Green arc) , and Vne (Red Line at top of yellow arc, Vyse (blue radial line) ...just kidding on that one -- I think I got 'em all listed... AND...

2. Does any manufacture custom install these markings for the highlander on the guage or am I gonna hafta paint 'em on myself? Oooooh what a mess that'll be.

Thanks
ACS has markings for any 3" ASI.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... edecal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fiferphil
Premium Member

Post by fiferphil »

Thanks for your reply, XP.

I'd seen those decals in the A/S web site, but I was hoping that one of the manufacturers like UMA would put those arcs on for me at the specified speeds ranges on the face of the instrument, and not on the lense. As for the values for Vso, Vfe, etc. I was told that I could find those in the POH. POH? ....What POH?....I didn't know there was a POH :shock: (That's Pilot Operating Handbook for those of you that are new to the flying game) I guess I didn't get one with the kit. Anyhow, Harry from JA, said he'd send me one.
Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

fiferphil wrote:Thanks for your reply, XP.

I'd seen those decals in the A/S web site, but I was hoping that one of the manufacturers like UMA would put those arcs on for me at the specified speeds ranges on the face of the instrument, and not on the lense. As for the values for Vso, Vfe, etc. I was told that I could find those in the POH. POH? ....What POH?....I didn't know there was a POH :shock: (That's Pilot Operating Handbook for those of you that are new to the flying game) I guess I didn't get one with the kit. Anyhow, Harry from JA, said he'd send me one.
You really don't have a POH when you build your plane. That's one of the things you must put together and keep with the plane when you finish it.
It is experimental and therefor operating it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. That be you!

You may build it under the Light Sport category 1320 gross, I think.. Maybe you register it as experimental with a 1550 gross weight. That's all in you operating hand book as well as the weights and balance that are different from plane to plane.

The engine you choose,,,, prop,,,,

As far as the markings go,, get yourself a EFIS and tell the maker what plane/engine you have and they will customize it for you, no charge.
If you like steam gauges, I put those markings on one of my ASI a UMA and you could not tell the difference.
Blain

Post by Blain »

Old thread but same question. What is everyone using for ASI and how are they marked?
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Mine will be on an iPad display fed from the Levil AP. Displayed ranges are determined in software setup.

The best trick I've seen on applying the decal arcs is to cover the finished display arcs with clear overlay to make them rub resistant.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Most of the manufacturers will custom mark them. Get all your testing done, get the EXACT numbers you want, and contact the airspeed indicator manufacturer.

There are repair shops that will also custom mark.

All the markings I’m referring to are screen printed on the instrument face, like a certified airplane.

Just look up and call the manufacturer to begin with. If they won’t, start looking for instrument repair shops.
Blain

Post by Blain »

I got a quote from UMA that was reasonable. I guess there isn’t any new alternatives.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Just lists the speeds for Vne, Vno and Vfe. Since we are the builder we can make those speeds anything we want but I don't think its a good idea to change what Just says they are. So the top of the White, Green and Yellow arcs as well as the Red Radial Line should be known when you build the plane. The only thing that will vary for individual airplanes are the Stall speeds. You determine that during Phase 1 flight testing. I used the decals from ACS and left the bottom of the White and Green arcs long. After flight testing I just trimmed them off with a razor blade at the appropriate speeds. Grounding your plane so you can remove the ASI, send it back to the manufacturer or instrument shop to have it dissembled to mark those lines seems like a lot of trouble and expense. When I got done with Phase 1 all I wanted to do was go fly my plane, but to each his own.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ckkey=7629
Blain

Post by Blain »

So how far off were your numbers from the Just numbers?

Return to “Just Aircraft”