Highlander vs SuperStol -Flight Characteristics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
eblezien

Highlander vs SuperStol -Flight Characteristics

Post by eblezien »

What are the major differences between the Highlander and SuperStol once airborne? I know the SuperStol is really about landing/takeoff short and soaking up the landing, but how is it once you're enroute? Is the tradeoff that it's just slower with more drag? What about stability in turbulence? I'd like to build one of the two and probably don't absolutely need the landing performance of the SuperStol if that means significant tradeoffs in-flight. Has anyone flown both of the them, similarly powered, that could give their opinion?

Thanks!
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander vs SuperStol -Flight Characteristics

Post by Tralika »

I suggest you contact the Just factory and talk to them. I know they are in the business of selling kits but based on my experience they will be completely honest with you and answer all your questions. Two other resources are Billy Payne at Plane Fun Aircraft. https://planefunaircraft.com/ He builds and does builder assist as well as transition training for both the Highlander and Super STOL. Here's a video interview with him on the Youtube Experimental Aircraft Channel. Last would be Steve Henry at Wild West Aircraft. He is a Just dealer, has built a bunch of Just aircraft and competes in his Highlander.
https://www.wildwestaircraft.com/home He has videos all over youtube. I've spoken to Steve and Billy many times and both will give you good info. If you do buy a kit, consider going through one of the dealers. The factory is a good resource but guys like Steve and Billy are great and would be very helpful during your build process. There is no markup over the factory price when you buy from one of the dealers.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

They are both LIGHT aircraft, which means in turbulent weather they bounce around. I have flown both the Highlander and SuperSTOL XL. In flight they fly virtual identical. Relative to landing, you are not suppose to slip a SuperSTOL, because the leading edge slats, they bang on each other. I had the SuperSTOL XL, now I'm building a Highlander EL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I do not have any Highlander experience.

But I have slipped my SS XL quite a bit, havent noticed any banging or problems at all. It slips very well.

As for how it flys - I have heard people say the SuperStol flys tail low compared to the highlander, and this accounts for the speed difference.
But
Mine does not, I used a symetrical airfoil tail and it flies very nice, and fairly fast.
If I pitch the prop for cruise -115mph at 8-9gph with the Titan 0-340.
And then land very, very short, at 20mph on ground so rough you wouldnt think it was landable.
meglin
Veteran Member

Post by meglin »

No matter what kind of plane you have. The main thing is, it should be our Ukrainian saber! Joke :).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blueridge20

Post by Blueridge20 »

If only ...

you could persuade Troy to offer the (option) to change the Highlander wing to a different Riblett airfoil more slanted to cruise speed. A real world 115-120 mph cruise speed with a stock Rotax 912 ULS would be achieveable.

Your takeoffs and landings would be slightly longer than a stock Highlander. Troy could tell the difference, but an average pilot couldn't tell. And you would still be the STOL pilot everyone talks about at the airport.

If you follow Billy Payne's building tips you would have an empty weight of 700-750 lbs., depending on suspension and tires.

The Highlander is engineered for a 1500 lbs. gross weight. So with the new LSA rules you could have 750 lbs. of useful load!

And crazy good performance when flown solo because of Billy's build-em light formula.

The only disadvantage with the Highlander is the real world cross country speed.

Could we have the option of a "speed wing" for the Highlander? Troy please?

Return to “Just Aircraft”