SuperStol XL Alaskan

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol XL Alaskan

Post by BDA »

I had mistakenly put aluminum rivets there.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
dkshow wrote:Glad you made it home, sounds like an exciting trip back. I've had to replace the rivets on both the head racks as well. I'm fairly certain when you get above 90mph the lift across the top of the lexan is stressing those rivets a bit much. I might find some stronger ones.

It's good to know you have a strong wing when you're in that stuff. Thanks for the report.
The rivets you had to replace were they stainless or aluminum?

I had aluminum rivets for a while but they kept sheering off, I just bought some steel ones that have stayed put so far this summer. Just needs a something a little stronger there.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Updates on new mods:
I flight tested electric aileron droop actuators that gave me 40* at max droop - but the motors were not strong enough so did not get to test full droop.
At 20% droop I noticed enough difference that I will continue the search for better motors.

Double slottled flaps are almost done, working on the hinge brackets now - they are HUGE!

Testing shock drag “reducers” now.

Finally made progress on engine cooling!!
The factory Titan cowling is too close to firewall at the bottom opening. I added 2 6x8” vent holes in the bottom of cowling and it is running about 30* cooler, but not there yet. Will add side vents next week.
When I get the cowling figured out I will be makeing molds and doing carbon fiber cowling.

VGs on the top of Horizontal tail, 1” from the leading edge is a game changer! At least for the airfoil tail. Tail flys at least 1’ higher in cruise, and the tail no longer stalls below 30mph. I am very confident flying level flight UNDER 30 mph now.

More to come
If any of you are building an XL it would be worthwhile for you to come and fly mine before you finish the tail.
Keetmchubbs

Post by Keetmchubbs »

BDA wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:50 am Was playing in the cold today

Saw 1,500 fpm climb rate at 2,450 rpm (full power), at 60 mph.

Gonna have to repitch the prop.
Baddest superstol out there
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Update on the Titan Engine temperature problems:

I was still having high CHT and Oil temps even in the winter so I had to take more drastic measures.

First I made the baffle seals around the pushrod tubes air tight with aluminum washers.

Next I covered all the extra vent holes that I have put in so that there is no way for the high presure cooling air to get backed up.

Then I re-jetted the carb to flow a lot more fuel. I now have more takeoff power too.

And put a new 3"x3" oil cooler scoop on the side of the cowl direct to the cooler.

Last flight I was able to fly at 2,450 or above for over an hour and a half, CHT below 380 and Oil below 200.

I also made a full power climb to 5,000 feet for the first time ever, without CHT going above 400*.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

On skis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I have been thinking for several years that the superstol will take off MUCH SHORTER if the angle of Attack on the ground was the same as the approach angle - which means that the main gear would need to be longer.
So Tony at TK-1 made me some 12” longer shocks, and I added 10” to a set of gear that I had. And while I was at it I welded 1.5” axles on so I could run 10” wheels and 35” tires.
This cut my takeoff roll in half.
When light it will take off 3 point imediately after full power and flaps - like, a one count. It is AWESOME!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Some in process pics
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Some pics of the Hoonicorn in its natural environment
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I found that it is very diffucult to climb on to a wet 35” bushwheel carrying 5 gallon fuel bag - without risk of severe pride damage.
So I added steps to the front of the shock mount bolt and TK steps to the gear legs.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

With an old man for perspective
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Sunsets
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Tailwheel hole seal
The air flowing past this whole creates suction in the cabin. If you seal up this hole, you can limit the amount of cold air that this suction pulls in at the wing roots. I tested with duct tape, then made this seal from 3/16” neoprene sheet.
Made a 5/8” C chanel and iveted to the small cross bar just behind the shock to make a mounting point for a sheet metal triangle.
Cut the shock hole a tad small for the shock tube for a tight seal. The hole must be round, a slit will rip out.
Used backing plates to rivet through the neoprene to the triangle in front of the shock.
Did the same thing to fix the neoprene to the triangle piece I made for the rear.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

The next Evolution:
65* double slotted flaps.
They are not done - have flight tested, now on revision 2.
Adds almost 32sqft wing area. Thats 24% more wing area.
With my extended wings, that makes the wing area equal to a super cub.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

67736344-A039-4DD1-A479-417E652020FF.jpeg
Out in the snow

Return to “Just Aircraft”