Vent Line Check Valve?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Vent Line Check Valve?

Post by SheepdogRD »

Two other recommendations:

(1) drill the hole by stepping up in size from a small initial hole to a final large one. Use very sharp bits.

(2) Keep a vacuum nozzle right next to the drill bit (and the tap) to suck out as much dust as possible.

You may still get some bits of fiberglass in the tank, even with the vacuum running. You'll want to flush the tank and run the effluent through a clean cloth of some sort to check for particles. I use a couple layers of an old cotton t-shirt.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Vent Line Check Valve?

Post by danerazz »

I did exactly what you are wanting to do.

First, the vent can be a small line. I used 1/4”

Second, I found the tank to be thicker than expected in the high-area my vent is installed (right wing only)

Third, I drilled it, tapped it for an NPT bushing, then epoxy-floxed a brass NPT bushing in, building an epoxy-putty shoulder around the hex after threading it in (coating threads with epoxy).

Then an AN nipple to attach the hose.

No build up of fiberglass. I did this with the tanks installed but before I mounted the wings. I used a shop vac while drilling to minimize any contamination in the tank, and even made a small tube adapter that I could then fish through the pickup holes and the new vent hole and vac out anything else I could get.

I also installed sump drains the same way. Two each wing, one in the aft-inboard corner, one in the low spot “well” outboard of the diagonal brace.

No leaks (except the typical dripping quick drain once in a while…)

Return to “Just Aircraft”