Moving airplanes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Moving airplanes

Post by danerazz »

I have my plane in a shared hangar with a champ and a pietenpole. The issue is it is a grass field, and it is slightly uphill moving into the hangar. This makes moving the Highlander (no, it has not flown yet, but close) and at least the champ back into the hangar without help REALLY difficult. Difficult enough that I avoid going to the airport because I don’t feel like spending two hours and ALL of my energy just trying to move planes.

When it was in my garage with the wings folded I built a taildragger tow bar because I had very little clearance into/out of the garage door. That was a level, paved driveway and easy to push the plane.

Now I want power. I am putting the finishing touches on a powered tow bar using a Harbor Freight utility trailer winch for power. I’ll let you know in the next couple of weeks if it works....

The cardboard disk is the same diameter as the tailwheel tire. There will be a strap that “grabs” the tire.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Moving airplanes

Post by Tralika »

That looks like it will work. Two things come to mind. If you removed the center plate under the tire, the tire might nestle down in the holder and you would not need the strap. Also, are you sure about the geometry of the handle clearing the wings in the folded position? From the little I can see in the photo it looks like it may be a little too upright to clear. Of course if you only plan to use it with the wings extended it won't matter. Very nice, looks very strong and well designed. I look forward to seeing some action photos.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The non-powered tow bar I built was designed with wing-fold in mind. I do not plan on using this to move the plane folded. My root-fairings prevent that from easily being done. I never intended to routinely fold.

This one just has to clear the rudder. I will take it to the airport and test it next week. I’ve thought about setting it up to not use a strap, but I also need to move a different plane (not mine) to get my plane in/out. If I have it “nestle” to avoid a hold down device the smaller tailwheel will either jam or fall through (ask me how I know).

Also, I have an iron design tailwheel and the fork is a lot closer to horizontal than most. This makes it difficult to get something in front of the tire high enough to prevent it from climbing out under load.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

A few mods: longer handle, angled up so I have more leverage and don’t have to bend over so much. Rewired with a momentary toggle switch instead of the winch control, painted.

Works surprisingly well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”