ADS-B retrofit

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

ADS-B retrofit

Post by KevinC »

I'm a little slow, but finally coming in to the ADS-B out world.

I'm installing an EchoUAT/SkyFyx in my 530 hr Highlander. Anyone else have experience with these? How about retrofitting an antenna base into the belly?

thanks!

k
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: ADS-B retrofit

Post by gkremers »

Kevin,
The EchoUAT/SkyFyx is the certified GPS source, the antenna can sit on the glare shield or under the boot cowl. What antenna are you trying to mount on the belly?

Gary
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Just an FYI...
My buddy and I have been doing a lot with ADS-B... both UAT and 1090ES.
We found that a top mounted antenna works better on a taildragger. The gear gets in the way of the signal a fair bit and the coverage is much more uniform when the antenna is on the top (turtle deck). It was even worse with the amphibious gear... moving the Transponder antenna to the top solved all the issues!
You'll have to check the antenna mounting spec to see if the FAA will allow top mounting in the USA if you want to be truly compliant. If there's no spec on it you're good to go with a top mount... Just keep it a foot or so away from the VHF communications antenna.
Dan

PS: Our ANS operator (Nav Canada) has mandated 1090ES in some airspaces here to work on the satellite-based Aireon ADS-B system. Top mounted antennas work just as well as the very expensive diversity antennas they specify for Aireon. Bottom-mounted antennas don't work well on a satellite-based system, but top-mounted antennas do work well with both the ground-based FAA system and the satellite-based Aireon system.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Thank you for the replies.

The instructions specifically state "on the belly of the aircraft" so I'm not sure I can/should deviate from that. I have considered putting it in a wingtip fairing. Perhaps on the tail access panel.

k
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Kevin,
Are you talking about the GPS antenna or the Transponder antenna?

Gary
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Sorry - the transponder antenna. I'm planning to put the gps antenna overhead.

k
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Kevin,
Got it.
I would follow the manufactures recommendation and mount the transponder antenna to the bottom of the fuselage. My plane is on wheels, skis and amphibious floats, never had an issue with strong signals. My floats are composite, the metal ones could certainly cause an issue. I'm using an GRT Safe Fly system as the certified GPS source with a Trig TT22 transponder. The transponder antenna needs a good size ground plane.

If you search the site for "Antenna Mounts" you'll find a good post by an expert back on March 16,2008. This is how I did it and it works great. One or two posts later someone asked about installing on a completed plane, he discusses that and it's not an issue.The pic below is from the post
LwrGroundPLanes.jpg
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Thanks -

I recall Wes' great posts from when I was building. He helped me through a couple electronic 'rough spots' by email. Very helpful information.

I am specifically looking at a retro-fit mounting. I mounted my transponder antenna in a similar fashion after seeing Wes' posts - but would not be able to do that again without re-covering/painting the area.

I watched a YouTube of a guy installing the same system in a Skybolt. he mounted his antenna on the tailcone access panel. I'm leaning toward that in this case as it is (barely) sufficient ground plane, belly, >1m from transponder antenna and easy.

K

Return to “Just Aircraft”