UK Escapade UL260i Build

UL 260i and UL 350i
Escapade UL260i

UK Escapade UL260i Build

Post by Escapade UL260i »

Hi Guys.

Mark Jones here, the UK UL260i Dealer.

I have been building my Escapade Taildragger with a UL260i engine over the last few years, fitting it in between my day job of fixing, covering , painting and many other things on Ultralights.

It so nearly finished now so here are  a few pics on G-POZA.

Regards
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Escapade UL260i on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Escapade UL260i

A few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Escapade UL260i on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Really nice and love the panel  :D
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Lookin good Mark!!

Steve
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Outstanding!
Escapade UL260i

Hey, thanks Guys.

It means alot to me as all the hard work has paid off.  More to come in a few day when I have painted the Cowls, root cuffs, Bungee covers and wing pulley covers, oh and the spinner. Mark :D

Regards
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

I love the panel. Is that panel pressing only available with English Escapades? It sure is better than the sheet of alloy that I was supplied with.
Keith
Escapade UL260i

Hi All.

The panel is and English supplied unit. It  ( on my kit ) came as a fibreglass moulding supplied blank in white gelcoat. Not a very well layed up part I must say. very rough on the back face so needed  lots of dressing up and leveling with Polyfill so as to ghet the instruments to sit straight on the front.

You have to do a lil bit of trimming to get the bottom corners to fit round some of the fuse tube structure.

Most folks here just spray itsatin black. I elected to do the same but was not happy with the finish as it showed up lots of inperfections that would take lots of filling and sanding ( read weight too ) to get to look perfect.

So I preped mine as best I could without adding weight. ( ie not to much filler ) and sprayed it satin black. I then sprayed it with an Plasti Kote Stone Touch paint from an aerosol. This comes in many colours and I chose MANHATTAN MIST 9444. Using this has the added bonus of hidding any small pin holes and rough spots and also hides any unevenness on the smooth faces.

Escapades here in the UK are now supplied with an ABS panel to the same design as the glasfibre one and is in Black.

Regards
Mark
Escapade UL260i

Re: UK Escapade UL260i Build

Here is a pic of the now finished and painted Cowls, yet to be fitted.

Regards
Mark

Final inspection on Tuesday and first engine run too.
Escapade UL260i

Hi Folks.

Well, today went well. First part of final Inspection was carried out. Fuel flow checks and engine runs tomorrow.

The Aircraft was presented for inspection with all bits fitted inc doors and floors, nothing was missing or had to be removed. Doors are light weight with
fixed windows and covered lower section. Medium fabric on fuse bottom. Non lightened I beams in wings, 18Ah battery ( 6.6 kg ) and 18" tundra tyres.

The Aircraft was set up as follows.

Engine:-
UL260i.

Prop:-
Newton 60 x 40, 1/2" prop spacer and Spinner.

Instruments:-
ASI, ALT, VSI, CHT x 2, Oil P, Oil T, Fuel Pressure, Amps, Volts , RPM, Slip, Sirs Compass and an 8 day clockwork MOD Clock. Panel mount radio, GPS bracket. 7 x Circuit breakers not fuses, battery isolator switch.

Extras:-
Landing light, Intercom, GA style Antenna, Bungee covers, Rear windows, Stiffening rib across top of Screen, stiffening rib down turtle deck centre,
Rubber edging strip round door edges, turtle deck edges, boot cowl to screen as seal, bent ( X'Air ) sticks, alloy instrument panel top cover and carpet covered,
additional pulley covers on aileron pullies, cover for elevator connection hole at rear fin.

Summery:-
Aircraft Passed the first stage of inspection and the ZFW empty Weight has come out ( with all the above ) at 266kg so well happy with that. All control settings were correct and within limits.

Lets see what happens tomorrow if the weather stops raining allows us to go out and play.

Regards
Mark

PS. Pics of fully painted and complete aircraft coming soon so you can see how the colours are working together..
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

That's great! Good luck tomorrow!
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
MYR

Post by MYR »

Hello,
What are the specs ?
Rgds
UL 260i owner.
I'm a French speaking person. Sorry for the mistakes I can make.
If you don't understand what I say, do not hesitate to tell me.
Je fréquente aussi ce forum : http://www.forum-ulm-ela-lsa.net
MYR

Post by MYR »

Hello,
Would you like to tell the top speed of the Escapade with a UL POWER 260i, then the top speed with a 100hp Rotax ?
Thanks.
UL 260i owner.
I'm a French speaking person. Sorry for the mistakes I can make.
If you don't understand what I say, do not hesitate to tell me.
Je fréquente aussi ce forum : http://www.forum-ulm-ela-lsa.net
cubouy

Re:

Post by cubouy »

scubarider2 wrote:Really nice and love the panel  :D
new to site am interested in 260i have a escapade with a 2200 jab can you tell me if my present motor mount and cowling will fit ? I see you have pot some relef for the cylinders on the side . Thanks Rick

Return to “UL Power Engines”