Drawings built?

For general discussion of the Wag-Aero Group family of aircraft.
Includes: Sport Trainer, Sportsman 2+2, and Wag-A-Bond
staticon

Drawings built?

Post by staticon »

I'm wondering, has anyone built a wagabond from just the drawings? I'd like to know if it's feasable. Also Wagaero list 2 different wing kits. Anyone know the difference between the two besides the fact that one says aluminum and one says wood. Are the aluminum wings lighter? Worth the money for a LSA? Thanks. Also anyone selling a buildable O-200 or lyc 235 core lets talk. Thanks. jEd
10kDA

Built from Drawings

Post by 10kDA »

I don't know a lot about Wag's Wag-A-Bond, but I have plans for their Sportsman 2+2 and they are very well done. It is certainly possible to build from the plans only, with maybe a few prefabbed parts bought from Wag Aero. In the Sportsman 2+2 plans, there are also the wood and aluminum options. "Wood" means the spars are wood - spruce planks, and wood ribs are designed to fit. "Aluminum" means spars are aluminum, and wood ribs are sized to fit and mounted differently. I haven't calc'ed the weight difference or compared prices for materials but I believe Al spars would be cheaper. I have to think the Wag-A-Bond wood and aluminum options are the same as that offered on the Sportsman.

Chris
jd

2+2

Post by jd »

chris,you want to sell a copy of thems plans for the sportsman 2+2?

the vagabond plans can be had from www.ragwing.com for $50.00,check em out
jdhogg
10kDA

Wag-a-bond

Post by 10kDA »

The 2+2 drawings are not for sale. The Ragwing Vagabond plans are for a totally different aircraft than the Wag-Aero Wag-A-Bond.
Brohawk

Post by Brohawk »

A friend is building a Wagabond from plans.  It is turning out nicely.  He has the wings almost ready for covering and the fuselage is welded up.

There is a video available a Jump Run Enterprises that goes into detail on how to weld a tube fuselage.  I'm planning on getting it before making a final decision on a tube airframe.  I haven't welded before, but from what I gather it's a matter of good fundamentals and practice.

The Wagabond I mentioned has all-wood wings (spars & ribs).  There's something about looking at a wood wing that strikes me as art.

And as mentioned, the "Ragabond" from Ragwing is a wood replica of a Vagabond, but I think the WagAero product is as close as you'll get to the real thing without it coming from Lock Haven.  I'd also compare the performance numbers (cruise, useful load, etc.).
millerdvr

wagabond from plans

Post by millerdvr »

If you go to yahoo groups and find the-wagbuilders- group there are lots of fine examples of plansbuilt wag planes there and the folks are very friendly to chat with. I think as far as "plansbuilt" aircraft goes the Wag aero planes are the most widely built of any I know. there are hundreds of them flying and just as many being built.
Its well worth checking out.
chris

Return to “Wag-Aero Group”