Building a Build Log System

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Building a Build Log System

Post by SheepdogRD »

It's been a long time since I posted any new information here... I've been working on the plane, but a lot of it has been on interdependent development projects: new windshield, new boot cowl, new lower cowling, new upper cowling. I'm also working on a narrowed instrument panel, a new panel cover, and a revised turtledeck. I try to build these projects so the ideas can be used by other builders. Because I don't want to put ideas out when they may turn out to be dead ends, I've been reluctant to discuss my progress.

The Cargo Door project now has its own thread.

The doorframe project is in a thread called Cabin Door Upgrade.

There's a brief thread on Watertight Hinge Cavities.

The big project -- one that went through many, many iterations and consumed a huge amount of time -- is the Extreme Windshield. It reduces the boot cowl to a sliver of its previous self. That project has its own thread, plus several related threads, including the updated Installation Guide.

The 913 cowling is a further development of the 914 cowling. It helps with cooling issues. It's available from the factory.

Another lower cowling is in development, but on a slow track right now.

An upper cowling -- known as the "straight-back" upper -- is intended to help with installation of the Extreme windshield. It's available from the factory.

The Split Turtledeck project is designed, and the prototype is built, so that will come around soon.

The narrowed instrument panel is built and installed. I revise it frequently. I built the overhead switch box, but it's getting a revision, too. We also have to wire everything. The glareshield is still only a cardboard mockup; looks like the final version will be dull-finish .040" Kydex over an aluminum support, or just arched aluminum.

There's more to come...
Last edited by SheepdogRD on Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: Building a Build Log System

Post by Clark in AZ »

Exciting stuff! Can't wait to see pics of all this. Thanks for taking the time to set all this up and show us what you're up to.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”