[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wings Forum • View topic - ULPower 350i/breaking the Highlander engine tradition!

Wings Forum

Forum for homebuilt experimental & light sport aircraft pilots, owners, & builders.
It is currently Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 pm 
Premium Member

That's a mount JA makes for the 2200, I just had to do some minor adjustments to the upper cross bracing.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:24 am 
Veteran Member

Looks nice. Any chance you will fly it to Sun n Fun. Long cross countries really are fun.  8)

Post subject: why not!?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:56 am 
Veteran Member

Heck yes, Steve - after all you are 'unemployable' :lol:

k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:08 am 
Premium Member

Flying to Sun N Fun would be a real challenge for a rookie like me :shock: , If I had someone like KevinC or GaryH (hint, hint :lol: )to come along it would be a possibility :!:

Yes, Kevin, after a couple years of retirement, I'm definitely unemployable, and PROUD OF IT :lol:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm 

Attachments:
IMGP1853 SM.JPG
IMGP1853 SM.JPG [ 104.41 KiB | Viewed 14395 times ]
IMGP1852 SM.JPG
IMGP1852 SM.JPG [ 85.55 KiB | Viewed 14395 times ]
IMGP1824 SM.JPG
IMGP1824 SM.JPG [ 115.2 KiB | Viewed 14398 times ]

Last edited by Escapade UL260i on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 pm 
Premium Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:43 am 

Steve,
Could you give us more info on your new motor? Do you have an idea on GPH for this motor?
Can you keep posting photos of your project?
Thanks
Dave

Post subject: 350 Fuel burn
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 pm 
Premium Member

Dave,
According to ULPower the engine is suppose to burn between 4.5 and 5.0 gph, but that seems a bit low to me for 130hp unless the fuel injection is a lot more efficient then I thing.  I"ll keep the forum updated on my progress, I'm just in the process of modifying my cowling to fit the engine, should have some pics for the forum next week.

Steve

Post subject: Cheeks cowl update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:29 pm 
Premium Member

Picked up my cheek cowl mold and a vacuum bagger from a friend yesterday and started building.  I'm now in the cheek cowl building business :)  The cheeks cowls came out great, got them fitted and ready to attach.

Steve

Attachments:
Cheek cowl mold.jpg
Cheek cowl mold.jpg [ 289.9 KiB | Viewed 13824 times ]
Cheek cowl.JPG
Cheek cowl.JPG [ 358.26 KiB | Viewed 13824 times ]

Post subject: Cheek cowl update
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:31 pm 
Premium Member

Couple more cowl pictures

Steve

Attachments:
Cheek rear.jpg
Cheek rear.jpg [ 326.31 KiB | Viewed 13821 times ]
Cheek left.jpg
Cheek left.jpg [ 355.61 KiB | Viewed 13821 times ]
Cheek front.jpg
Cheek front.jpg [ 356.21 KiB | Viewed 13821 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm 
Veteran Member

Steve,

Having never worked with glass seriously, how does that bagger process work?  How did you get the mold in the first place?  Did you carve it out of styrofoam?  I'm guessing then that the vacuum just pulls it into the mold through a bunch of small holes in the mold once you wet it out?  Your work always impresses me!  I am really looking forward to seeing your progress on this plane.  

Thanks,
Paul, PA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 pm 
Premium Member

Paul,
I have a friend who owns a 3D CAD and CNC business. I had him build the cheek cowls on the computer and cut it out on the CNC machines, otherwise I would have had to carve my own plug and build up the female mold from the plug. Bad news was that even though he was a friend it did cost me :cry: so if anyone is interested in cheek cowls let me know :) I've got the mold!!
The mold is made of a CNC machinable poly foam which isn't affected by poly or iso resins, very dense, heavy, closed cell foam which is used alot in building protype hardware.  
Nomally when you use a vacuum bag you put the resined peice and mold in the bag, however in order to do that with this foam mold I would have had to make the foam mold smooth by surfacing it with layers of resin a sanding. waxing and polishing which takes a ton of time.  My friend told me that I could use the bag itself as the release mechanism so I vacuum bagged the mold ( the bag sucks down into the mold ) and did the layup on top of the bag :) It worked great and much quicker but I will need to do some extra work in finishing the outside of the cheeks because the foam has a slightly rough surface, but smoothing that surface is not as big of a deal as preparing and polishing the mold itself.
I just glassed the cheeks to the top and bottom cowl today so I'll be spliting them tomorrow.  I'll keep the pics coming

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:22 pm 
Veteran Member

Steve we might be interested in a couple of sets of those at the factory. Call me Monday and lets discuss.   Jak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:38 pm 
Premium Member

I'll give you a call Jak

Steve

Post subject: Cheek attached
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:12 pm 
Premium Member

Attachments:
IMG_9424.jpg
IMG_9424.jpg [ 333.71 KiB | Viewed 13704 times ]
IMG_9426.jpg