Power of UL POWER AERO ENGINES ?

UL 260i and UL 350i
MYR

Power of UL POWER AERO ENGINES ?

Post by MYR »

Hi all,

I am a owner of a UL260i motor (from the belgian UL POWER AERO ENGINE company)... which is yet to be started...

I seriously doubt the output figures given by the company. Max output is supposed to be 95 - 97hp. It happens to be around 79 - 85hp after various investigations.

Is it a widely spread engine in the USA ? Are there any owners in this forum, and if so, are you happy with it ?

Thanks
UL 260i owner.
I'm a French speaking person. Sorry for the mistakes I can make.
If you don't understand what I say, do not hesitate to tell me.
Je fréquente aussi ce forum : http://www.forum-ulm-ela-lsa.net
Denali

Re: Power of UL POWER AERO ENGINES ?

Post by Denali »

Interesting.

How did determine this lower hp rating ?

How is the FADC system on the engine; does it work effectively ?

Is it possible that the company is still having initial start up issues with this engine?
MYR

Post by MYR »

Denali wrote:Interesting.

How did determine this lower hp rating ?

How is the FADC system on the engine; does it work effectively ?

Is it possible that the company is still having initial start up issues with this engine?
I know a person who has changed his Jabiru 2200 80 hp for 260ifr UL 100 hp. He found that performance was only slightly higher.
He then measured the power with a craft method*: It was determined that the power was very less.
* There in in french unfortunatelly http://www.forum-ulm-ela-lsa.net/viewto ... 443&t=3239, open the pdf file to have a look at the pictures
Then, he ordered a workshop to measure the maximum power with a bench power. The verdict was: 89 hp instead of 100 hp.
Then, I read this table that comes from a German workshop making parts and upgrades for non-certificated aircraft engines:

ps means hp
1st line is Power announced by the Factory
2sd line is the point of Max Power mesured at the Propeller Shaft
3rd line is the point of Max Torque

As you can see the max power of the UL POWER 260i that is announced to be 95hp (97hp on new publications) was found at 2700 rpm for 79 hp.
UL 260i owner.
MYR

Post by MYR »

Some news :
http://hpics.li/b369f0f found there : http://corvus-hungary.com/en/sa_ultra_l ... am_26/t_UL Power out of program/index.html
UL Power out of program

Due to low performance, technical issues - lack of company support, communication UL Power lost the chance to work with Corvus

After long testings and discussions Corvus has made a decision to revise engine selection for the Fusion.
In the future the Fusion will be available only with Rotax 912ULS and 912 S engines. Also we will do tests with Rotax iS and Lycoming, Continental engines for our LSA category planes, however this will be only after winter 2012.

Corvus finished cooperation with UL Power officially and we do not offer those engines.
UL Power, the belgian engine manufacturer did not took our goals seriously and provided zero support for the development. The engine's performance and lack of communication and also the faith in UL Power engines sink to a minimum level.
A couple of problems, technical issues, lack of good props, lack of the option for hydraulic constant speed prop makes the UL Power less interesting than any other engine.
I notice :

"low performance"
"technical issues"

If this is not true, we'll certainly have some explanations from the belgian firm UL POWER AERO ENGINE.
UL 260i owner.
deckofficer

Post by deckofficer »

MYR,

It appears you have an issue with UL Power, care to elaborate? As to that table showing power claims and dyno power via a 3rd party, that was quite slanted. Giving a measured power at the prop shaft is fine, but allowing the Rotax to run at its rpm of peak hp while limiting the rpm of the UL to 600 rpm below its peak hp of 3300 rpm, is bogus.

I'm interested in the UL engines so doing due diligence by researching via google search brought me to this forum. Does anyone have anything to offer on UL Power engine experience?
fredoyster

Post by fredoyster »

No experience to offer, but a comment on the 'bogus' spin. Are you going to run a prop that operates efficiently at 3300 rpm? Low prop speed is the magic bullet used by Rotax (and all other reduction-drive engines, like Sauer where that chart came from.) UL, Jabiru, Corvair all have the problem of producing rated power only at high speeds which require small props in order to keep the tip speed subsonic. That means a 60-64" prop. If you have a small airframe that can get out of the way of the stream tube of such a prop, fine.
MYR

Post by MYR »

deckofficer wrote:MYR,

It appears you have an issue with UL Power, care to elaborate? As to that table showing power claims and dyno power via a 3rd party, that was quite slanted. Giving a measured power at the prop shaft is fine, but allowing the Rotax to run at its rpm of peak hp while limiting the rpm of the UL to 600 rpm below its peak hp of 3300 rpm, is bogus.

I'm interested in the UL engines so doing due diligence by researching via google search brought me to this forum. Does anyone have anything to offer on UL Power engine experience?
79 hp at 2700 rpm because less power at higer rpm.
Noboby has something to offer on UL Power engine experience because nobody even in Europe wants to buy such a low powerfull engine.
UL 260i owner.
Clouds

Post by Clouds »

deckofficer wrote:MYR,

Hello
I have 100 hours logged with mine installed in a Sonex
It runs perfectly 140mph @ 3000 rpm 1200ft/mn @ 100 mph solo
Must have a well tuned prop about 60inches in diameter to reach this efficiency and an intake ramair duct It fires like a car engine and sucks about 4 gallons per hour at cruise
I sold the previous jab 2.2 without regrets
Clouds

Return to “UL Power Engines”