Tailwind or Buttercup?

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
byGeorge

Tailwind or Buttercup?

Post by byGeorge »

I'm interested in finding out what I can about the W-5 and W-8. I have read a dozen or so articles online. I have ridden in the right seat of a light, 630 lbs empty IIRC, W-8 with a C-85, and squared off tips. It has also been suggested that the W-5 might be a better fit for my intended goal of building an airplane without an electrical system and flying it daytime VFR outside rule airspace into semi-rough grass and dirt strips.

It was suggested that I list my "givens and druthers," so here is a preliminary list:

c-85 / c-90 / o-200, wood prop, 30" straight pipes w/ muffs for carb and cabin heat
3" Alt, ASI. 2" whisky, temp, psi, egt, cht. Rectangular electronic tach w/ hours. Sight gauge for bottom half of tank.
bowden tube carb and muff controls, "Y" stick, dual rudder pedals
aluminum floor which is also fuselage bottom panel
100% polycarbonate or other transparent "patrol" doors (concerned acrylic might be to brittle)
woven aluminum seats, 4 point harnesses
aluminum baggage with net (and I suppose I have to have an ELT)
Waxable single high visibility color finish (yellow a leading candidate)

I have come here to educate myself and I am pretty certain that I have the least experience of any of the potential participants in this thread. All the airplanes that I have built to date were made of balsa and my certificate is probably still warm from being printed. So however incorectly worded my questions are requests for information.

R. George (frequently seen at CPS)
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: Tailwind or Buttercup?

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi,
Look in the Wittman section... you'll find a Buttwind.... errr Buttercup / Tailwind mix
It's a good plane for the custom job you're looking to build

and the building log is easy to look through

Gotta Fly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Introductions”