Highlander XL - Lycoming O-320

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Highlander XL - Lycoming O-320

Post by AV8R Paul »

April 22, the fun begins. I purchased a Highlander XL. I decided to order it with the ribs assembled to the spars, flaps and ailerons assembled, and rigged to the fuselage. Zak and Iknocked out the rigging the wings to the Fuselage, we got the tanks mounted, butt rib installed. I received a message from Thomas Hauklien that my EPeX300Ti will be ready to ship next week, but it has been delayed due to a warped Exhaust Manifold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander XL - EPeX300Ti

Post by AV8R Paul »

Thomas at Edge Performance taking my engine out for test run.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Wing trailing edge aluminum drilled, countersunk, & Cleco’ed in place. The aft tank cover nut plates drilled, countersunk, nut plates riveted in place.
The leading edge tank cover aluminum strip, cut to size, drilled & counter the mounting holes & Cleco’ed in place.
The leading edge tank cover aluminum strip have the nut plates drilled, countersunk, and riveted into place.
All of the ribs are drilled for the Wing Fabric Rivets, both top and bottom of the ribs both wings.
The two ribs that hold the fuel tank covers, drilled, countersunk, and nut plates riveted in place.
Butt rib stiffener, cut to size, drilled, countersunk, & Cleco’ed in place.
The gusset stiffeners for the cross braces to wing spar, lightening holes drilled, and cut to fit the proper angle, masking taped into place.
The wing spar to strut braces drilled and Cleco’ed into place.
Trailing edges for the flaps & aileron installed, drilled, countersunk, Hysol’ed, and riveted into place.

Next:
I started installing the Wing Leading Edge cuffs on one wing, need to cut the clearance for the strut braces, and masking tape into place and then do the other wing.
After I complete both leading edge cuffs on Monday, I plan to Hysol & riveting everything into place. That way I only have one hurry up and wait for the Hysol to cure.
Once all of that is done it’s on to installing the ailerons & flaps.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

We got the Ailerons and Flaps completed and ready to install the Hinges for both in the Wings. Leading edges installed with the fish heads, trailing edges installed, and the Hinge brackets installed. I’m enjoying working at the factory, and Zac has been a God Send!
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Completed the Floor Board in the Baggage Compartment. I cut the Floor Board under the Pilots feet a little too small. I ended up also cutting the top of the aft bulkhead too small so I took the Floor Board from the Pilots feet and used it to complete the Baggage Compartment.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander XL - Lycoming O-320 160 HP (Planned)

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I'm please to see Richard Holts has the Forum back up and running. I have decided to stop posting on Facebook, I get put into Facebook Jail too Often.
One change to my Project I have decided to go with a Lycoming O-320 160 HP if I can find one.
I have spent the day today getting the wheels & axels installed, I still need to drill the backing plate but before doing that I decided to make sure the wheel assemblies mounted.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander XL - Lycoming O-320 160 HP (Planned)

Post by AV8R Paul »

For those of you that don't use Facebook, here are some photo's of my Highlander Covered.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks! I hate and refuse to use Facebook.

Looking good. What happened to the edge engine?
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I sold it!
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I decided to not use the Horner tips on my highlander. I fabricated the wing tips out of Carbon fiber. I wanted the wing tip to be flush with the end of the aileron so I made wing extensions to allow for an extra wing rib on each wing tip.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I made mine from aluminum. I used the nut plates previously installed on the rip caps for the fiberglass wing tips. Figuring out the geometry around the forward wing spar and the wing trailing edge was a little tricky. Took a couple of tries with some scrap aluminum before I fabricated the final product. The tip lines up with the outboard edge of the aileron. I'm sure carbon fiber would be lighter but even so my new tips came in over two pounds lighter than the factory fiberglass tips. If someone is building and decides to go this route I suggest the following: When you install the wing trailing edge the instructions will tell you to trim off the end even with the outer edge of the rib cap. Wait to trim off the end of the trailing edge of the wing until you install the ailerons. That way you'll know exactly where to trim to make the wing tip line up properly. I had to fabricate the end of my new wing tip to cover that little gap in the trailing edge. It would be much easier if you don't have to do that. I used 2023 T3, .020 for the part that attaches to the wing, .032 for the tip/fence. If I had to do it again I think I'd use .020 for the tip as well.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I like your extension, it definitely weighs less than mine. I just had scrap tube and spar stiffener materials available at the factory and, we decided to fabricate them via using a stock rib. We didn’t have any scrapped attempts, and the ribs matched perfectly. Zac came up with the idea of using the ribs, and it was quick and easy to incorporate. I ordered a match drill tool, I’m waiting to put on the wing tips.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander XL - Lycoming 0-320 160 hp (planned)

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here are some photo’s of my header tank, & baggage door.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I am installing the brake lines on the passenger side. I have installed the lower brake line that connects the forward caliper to the rear caliper. I decided to use the tubing because the brake line connecting the two is so short. I am also using braided brake cables purchased from the local speed shop which were pre-cut fabricated. . I intend to use wear tape wrapped around the landing gear tube to secure the brake line to the landing gear to prevent cheek chafing. I’ll probably use 4 zip ties to secure it. What do you think?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I’d love to hear more about your slats

Return to “Just Aircraft”