Superstol Trim

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Superstol Trim

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

When I searched “Trim” I found nothing so I made this thread. With the L bracket at the furthest aft position there is less chance of the piano wire kinking when used. In the build manual it does say to install it as far aft as it can go. When i first placed it and drilled 4 holes it was more forward, then i decided to trim the base of the L bracket so that it could be installed as far aft as possible and be perfectly inline with both cable attach points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol Trim

I held a brown clip board behind to get better pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

A few pics from a friends SS plane
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

A pic that was sent to me
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The trim spring, apparently it’s to prevent flutter, so VERY important!
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The old version of this part required an Allen wrench, this newer style part used now has a flat blade screw, i will use Blue Loc Tite on the screw.
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Used a drill bit gauge to get proper size hole to allow it to swivel in the hole when the trim tab is moved.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

A pic from a friends SS, Trim Cable is routed through the bottom of this hole.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Thanks
Sure wish I had pics like these when I did mine.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Please note if you make your L bracket base shorter like I did(I did this to get it as far Aft as possible to prevent cable kink)...after I covered my elevator with Black Oratex 6000 when I went to rivet from the bottom side up I realized the head of my rivet gun was too fat to rivet the 2 rivets nearest the L bracket...this forced me to rivet from the Top Side(which was already covered with Oratex. On the top I ended up ironing the Oratex to the square aluminum plate as I had 2 layers of glue on the plate and bottom side of fabric...this made an ugly bowl in fabric on the top side which I covered with a large patch of Oratex. I should have used some reinforcement tape or I could have made a small hole for the rivet gun but it’s done now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The ugly bowl I made a patch over.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Before the patch
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The Color steaks are because I just wiped it with alcohol just before the pic. Then a pic of the patch I put over it but it was too small so then I put a second patch overtop of the first patch. The hole in the patch is to drain moisture once the second patch is over it and Oratex requires all areas enclosed by Oratex to have a vent to prevent ballooning because it’s air tight.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Another pic of the small patch then 2 pics of the large patch I put over the small patch. It’s not pretty but it’s fixed my screw up.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:When I searched “Trim” I found nothing so I made this thread. With the L bracket at the furthest aft position there is less chance of the piano wire kinking when used. In the build manual it does say to install it as far aft as it can go. When i first placed it and drilled 4 holes it was more forward, then i decided to trim the base of the L bracket so that it could be installed as far aft as possible and be perfectly inline with both cable attach points.

This thread is awesome as it puts Jak's instructions into full view...pilots like pictures! My questions....

First, what in the hell is a rivet washer, and did the kit come with these?!? I don't have any...
Second, what bolt did you use on the trim handle plate to attach the rearmost tab? It looks like the bolt goes through the cable housing clamp, through the aluminum plate, and finally through the mounting tab on the fuselage.

This is the worst of the instructions so far...they are less than vague. I really appreciate this forum!!
~Rob

Return to “Just Aircraft”