static port location

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: static port location

Post by Tralika »

I recommend using these static ports from Cleavleand Tool. High quality and the 1/4" push on unions go on and off easily. Just drill a 1/2" hole and attach the static port with epoxy from the inside. Cleaveland Tool also sells high quality push on unions. I've used the ones from the home supply store and they worked but I have friends who used them and they leaked. The Cleaveland unions are no more expensive than home supply store.

https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products ... 8238558270
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Rob,

I purchased the static ports from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool:
https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products ... 8247274558

I mounted them by fabricating a small round aluminum disc approx 3" in diameter, as a backing plate, that I glued to the inside of the Oratex fabric. I drilled a hole in the center of the disc before mounting to the fabric. Once mounted, I cut the fabric out of the hole and inserted the static port through it, gluing it in place. Then I just used the push on connectors to hook it up. I have a line from each port going to a "TEE" and then the single line going forward. Oh, I also had them powder coated matte black, they come as in the pic on the link.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Tralika wrote:I recommend using these static ports from Cleavleand Tool. High quality and the 1/4" push on unions go on and off easily. Just drill a 1/2" hole and attach the static port with epoxy from the inside. Cleaveland Tool also sells high quality push on unions. I've used the ones from the home supply store and they worked but I have friends who used them and they leaked. The Cleaveland unions are no more expensive than home supply store.

Thanks, John! Have you gotten your plane flying with the new setup of static ports at the back? How did it compare?
~Rob
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Clark in AZ wrote:Hey Rob,

I purchased the static ports from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool:
https://www.cleavelandtool.com/products ... 8247274558

I mounted them by fabricating a small round aluminum disc approx 3" in diameter, as a backing plate, that I glued to the inside of the Oratex fabric. I drilled a hole in the center of the disc before mounting to the fabric. Once mounted, I cut the fabric out of the hole and inserted the static port through it, gluing it in place. Then I just used the push on connectors to hook it up. I have a line from each port going to a "TEE" and then the single line going forward. Oh, I also had them powder coated matte black, they come as in the pic on the link.

Clark
Great explanation, Clark! Thank you...between that and your photos I should be all set. It was hard to tell what was going on in your photo before covering. Now that I’m a bit smarter, it all came together.
~Rob
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I mounted a single static port to the bottom of the fuselage on the large inspection cover in front of the tailwheel. I've flow the plane several times and it looks like the Indicated Air Speed is right on. I flew the four cardinal headings and recorded the IAS and GPS Ground Speed for each. I averaged the differences between them and it comes out to 1mph. In my world that's about as good as it gets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Tralika wrote:I mounted a single static port to the bottom of the fuselage on the large inspection cover in front of the tailwheel. I've flow the plane several times and it looks like the Indicated Air Speed is right on. I flew the four cardinal headings and recorded the IAS and GPS Ground Speed for each. I averaged the differences between them and it comes out to 1mph. In my world that's about as good as it gets.
Oh, wow! See, this is why I like these forums...I would have never thought of putting the port there. Have you noticed any weird deviations because of the landing gear hanging in front of that? I would have thought that area was very turbulent.

Thanks for the photo!!

Rob
~Rob
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Air Speed is right on Ground Speed. That spot works on my plane.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Thanks John
That spot works for mine as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Good to hear.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
rpigeek

Post by rpigeek »

Is under the tail accurate for high angle of attack and short field landings?
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Nothing is accurate at high angle of attack

Unless you run a separate pitot tube and point it at 45* down angle for landing its not going to read right anyway

My pitot sticks out almost a foot in front of leading edge, static under the tail, and my airspeed is very close to gps speed at all speeds, but below 40, its just a reference, it is not correct.

When my airspeed says that I am 30mph, I know I need X amount of power to stay airborn, but I still dont know how fast I am really going.

Prob shouldnt be looking at the panel when that slow anyway.

I have seen 25 on my gps in level flight but I was REALLY busy w the rudder.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind

Return to “Just Aircraft”