Wings Forum

Forum for homebuilt experimental & light sport aircraft pilots, owners, & builders.
It is currently Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 pm 
Veteran Member

I'm still building, but I'm impressed with Oratex's toughness. I accidentally tried to stuff a brace through the belly when temporarily installing a seat, and it stretched the belly fabric out into a 2"-high pimple. I discovered it the next morning and thought I'd have to re-cover the area. I left it overnight. The next day, it had pulled back and there's never been any evidence of my screw-up. I've had a couple of parts that got battered in storage and transfer... with no damage. It's really tough stuff.

I also like the fact that I can make a change in my aileron and just cover the part I changed... no painting. If I want to add an inspection port, it's pretty easy, and the only thing I have to paint is the cover.

If there's another build, the fabric will be Oratex.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:12 am 

Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards Oratex. The drawbacks in my mind are the fact that the process will cost a full three times more than say that of SuperFlight, the 'protrusions' on any surface need to have backing plates installed, satin finish of the colors, and finally, I'm not sure Oratex will be viewed as a positive on the resale market, i.e. not sure it will add any increased value to the airframe. But.. I really hate painting!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm 
Veteran Member

I don't think it will cost three times as much as SuperFlight when you throw in the cost of paint and paint equipment. You'll save a LOT of time sanding between coats, especially with zero coats. That said, you'll still paint your cowling, and you'll still have to paint all the fittings that stick out.

Yes, the finish is satin. To quote Billy Payne, "These things are dirt bikes of the air." They may get scratched in the bush, and you won't worry with Oratex. With perfect shiny paint, you'll worry.

The resale market is hot right now, and Oratex seems to be a plus. (Nope, mine is not for sale.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:35 pm 

Thanks for the feed back. I am leaning towards Oratex. However the price uplift for them is a consideration. I have a quote from SuperFlight for $3757. This included the fabric, tapes, glue, primer, top coat and even some trim color. Compare this to what BAF gave me. For second grade fabric, it came to $9016. Going to first grade, it comes to $10700. So just short of 3 times as expensive. Yes.. a lot more labor with the traditional system.. but I'd feel a whole lot better if it was only twice as expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:36 pm 
Veteran Member

[quote="mark"]$10700. So just short of 3 times as expensive.[/quote]
Wow -- that's higher than I thought it would be. I'd be interested in seeing if they quoted the same amount of fabric.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34