Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Post by BlainS »

BDA wrote:Oratex tape covers everything

I wrapped aluminum around my horizontal leading edge to give it a larger radius - this made for a good backing plate for the fabric.
Shawn, any pictures of this?
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

Finishing up baggage area on the SSXL. Many have said the correct order is to do the small parts first. I'm going to counter that with another opinion. The baggage area is complex. Needs a lot of trimming, backing plates and doilies. The learning curve is steep but any mistakes or less then ideal quality is mostly hidden. If installing upholstery its all hidden. Had I started with the small parts, trim tab, elevators, etc. there would be noticeable "holidays". I'm confident those highly visible areas will get a better quality covering with the lessons learned in the baggage area.

Expecting to get flamed...
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Blain I agree that bagage is a great place to start. After you have made at least one prctice piece and tried to pull fabric off of it.
Good job doing the backer plates and doilys.

Dont forget to spot check fabric temp w temp gun when putting fabric over aluminum, it sucks the heat away and takes longer dwell time.

As for pictures - I will dig some up, but there is a thread on the forum here about the tail feathers. I HIGHLY RECOMEND a symetrical airfoil on the horizontal tail for the XL. Chris Wallen is using one of my airfoils - give him a call.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

Playing with different ideas for the handle backing. I really don’t think I can get the top piece to follow the fabric. Considering cutting it into fingers or segments of maybe an inch wide each.

What have other Oratex practitioners done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Maybe just the bottom piece and a half-round above the ends of the handle?

You can also contour the plate above the handle. It doesn’t have to be flat.

Plus, “close enough” is usually close enough.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

BlainS wrote:Playing with different ideas for the handle backing. I really don’t think I can get the top piece to follow the fabric. Considering cutting it into fingers or segments of maybe an inch wide each.

What have other Oratex practitioners done?
On mine i clamped flat/straight edge from bottom longeron to the pipe where handle is and then hysoled on the bottom side of the pipe the handle is welded to, that way i can hold the bottom and bend the top. I have not covered with fabric yet but i may trim the backing plate shorter on the top side above handle...i may trim it so its only 1/2" above the pipe the handle is welded to. I did get a hand held edge roller from Spruce to roll the edge down like Lars suggested. If you do cut vertical fingers in the backing plate above the handle the cut marks will be seen through fabric after shrinking.
BlainS
Seasoned Member

Post by BlainS »

By edge roller do you mean the flanging roller? I considered that too except that would leave the glue edge as the defining shape that shows through the fabric. I guess maybe mask it first. Might have to try a scrap to see what it will look like.

What if I put a layer of fabric between the “fingered” plate and covering?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BlainS wrote:By edge roller do you mean the flanging roller? I considered that too except that would leave the glue edge as the defining shape that shows through the fabric. I guess maybe mask it first. Might have to try a scrap to see what it will look like.

What if I put a layer of fabric between the “fingered” plate and covering?
This is a hand held edge roller from Spruce it rolls the edge down some. The flange rollers are for round holes from what I understand. This edge roller will still show a line where the backing plate touches fabric but it makes is a soft line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Edge roller instructions
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Diagram
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

From Spruce
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The side with Epoxy is the side normally facing ground...I can’t Edge roll it now because it’s Epoxied. The opposite edge is rolled some in this pic but I may trim some aluminum away or bend it more yet. I will be Covering it with Oratex any day now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I got thinking the more this backing plate sticks up (on the top side only) it will change the fabric curve and won’t match the curve on the opposite side. This black line is where I plan to trim the top to...this leaves aprox 1/3” above the longeron.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trimmed to that line.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

This amount should work fine.

Return to “Just Aircraft”