Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 pm

Yes
Backing plates are a must
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby CanadianSheepHunter » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:32 am

BlainS wrote:My first attempt at Oratex is going to be the baggage area. I’m using silver but had a sample of red so made a practice shot at how to hang it. Wondering what to do at the welded tabs. I’ve read that no cuts should be left unsupported. Should each tab have a backing plate to glue to? And in this case the fairlead got cut oversized. Probably not going to be the last either. Need to learn how to fix them now.


If i was going to fix that i would probably use 0.020" aluminum, prime the aluminum with epoxy primer and have to halves of a circle, i would hysol the aluminum halfs in place and then have 2 layers glue on the plate and 2 layers glue on rear of fabric and once glue is dry attach fabric to plate. then after that made a doilee to go over it. Or you can take the plate(primed both sides) and super glue it to the coloured side and then 2 layers glue on plate and once dry put a doilee with 2 layers glue over it.
User avatar
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BlainS » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:41 pm

CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
BlainS wrote:My first attempt at Oratex is going to be the baggage area. I’m using silver but had a sample of red so made a practice shot at how to hang it. Wondering what to do at the welded tabs. I’ve read that no cuts should be left unsupported. Should each tab have a backing plate to glue to? And in this case the fairlead got cut oversized. Probably not going to be the last either. Need to learn how to fix them now.


If i was going to fix that i would probably use 0.020" aluminum, prime the aluminum with epoxy primer and have to halves of a circle, i would hysol the aluminum halfs in place and then have 2 layers glue on the plate and 2 layers glue on rear of fabric and once glue is dry attach fabric to plate. then after that made a doilee to go over it. Or you can take the plate(primed both sides) and super glue it to the coloured side and then 2 layers glue on plate and once dry put a doilee with 2 layers glue over it.



Hadn’t considered super glue on the colored side with doilee, or doilies. Arguing with spell check :?
Would you do a light shrink first to get the wrinkles out? I thought about the hysol route but it would have to be in the exact position of the shrunk fabric to not be one of the yoga pants bumps?

I’m thinking I should have built an S-21. This fabric stuff is intimidating.
User avatar
BlainS
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby CanadianSheepHunter » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Yes you would want to shrink first...i superglued small primed aluminum plates to my stabilizers where the flying wires attach(had to cut hole in fabric to allow the flying wire attach points to stick out)...after i shrunk my stabilizers i then superglued small aluminum primed plates to fabric then put 2 laters of Oratex glue then a doilee. I have pics of that on here or another thread...page 22 on this thread you can see where i added a plate like this on my rudder, somewhere i thought i posted pics of my stabilizers...search my posts. You can always call Lars for advice too.
User avatar
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26 am

Oratex tape covers everything

I have put aluminum plates on from the backside, just glue then iron on.

Then tape to cover the hole.

I wrapped aluminum around my horizontal leading edge to give it a larger radius - this made for a good backing plate for the fabric.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BlainS » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 pm

Right idea or overkill? Thinking it will stay in place with superglue long enough to get the fabric in position.
Attachments
8E1A19FA-6D11-4F94-94FF-494F55C82708.jpeg
User avatar
BlainS
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby CanadianSheepHunter » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 am

BlainS wrote:Right idea or overkill? Thinking it will stay in place with superglue long enough to get the fabric in position.


Looks like you have the right idea to me
User avatar
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:04 pm

Looks nice, will work fine
But could be half that size in my opinion.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Clark in AZ » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:30 pm

BDA wrote:Looks nice, will work fine
But could be half that size in my opinion.


+1
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:40 am
Location: Cave Creek, AZ

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Beartooth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 am

This is my first post to the forum, wanted to start by saying thank you to everyone for all the great info! I have had my Highlander kit for a month now and it’s going really well. I’ve read this entire thread and have a few questions. I am going with Oratex and talked to Lars about not using rivets or rib stitching. He said the construction of the Highlander rib allows the omission of mechanical attachment. I know this is opening a can of worms but just wanted to get your thoughts. I know at least one person on here, can’t remember who right now, didn’t use finishing tapes in all the normal places. Without stitches or rivets you wouldn’t have to tape the wings either according to Lars. With all the discussion about the glue being activated or not it makes me lean toward having a backup method of attachment. I’ve covered an airplane with the Stewart’s system and liked that but I’m looking forward to Oratex for all the afore mentioned reasons. Thx.

Will
Will
Highlander build in progress
Colorado
Beartooth
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 am

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BDA » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:10 pm

Welcome Will

I have not used stitch or rivets on my airfoil tail and it is holding up very well.

BUT
The only thing holding that fabric on is the glue - granted the fabric wraps all the way around and attaches to itself BUT - IF the glue lets go in flight (10 years down the road?) there wont be anything to stop it.

There is too much fabric “movement” on the wing for me to be comfortable with no mechanical attachment there.

Just my opinion here - I would not use rivets again either. Rib stitch is easy, and way better in my experience.

You will not find anyone that will say “you are fine with no stitch or rivets” for liability reasons, you have to just make that decision with what you are comfortable with.

There is no doubt the glue is plenty strong enough to hold the fabric by itself - the question is when the corrosion underneath allows glue to pull off.

As for the tapes - with Oratex they are just for covering and re-inforcing ugly and /or holey spots. No ugly - no need for tape .

Abrasion and wear protection should be taken care of before covering. Although I did use extra tape around the doors and bagage.

Rock protection on the tail may warrant an extra layer of the 6000 fabric, but the tape is not tough enough for this.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
User avatar
BDA
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am
Location: Kenai Alaska

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BucF16 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Beartooth wrote:This is my first post to the forum, wanted to start by saying thank you to everyone for all the great info! I have had my Highlander kit for a month now and it’s going really well. I’ve read this entire thread and have a few questions. I am going with Oratex and talked to Lars about not using rivets or rib stitching. He said the construction of the Highlander rib allows the omission of mechanical attachment. I know this is opening a can of worms but just wanted to get your thoughts. I know at least one person on here, can’t remember who right now, didn’t use finishing tapes in all the normal places. Without stitches or rivets you wouldn’t have to tape the wings either according to Lars. With all the discussion about the glue being activated or not it makes me lean toward having a backup method of attachment. I’ve covered an airplane with the Stewart’s system and liked that but I’m looking forward to Oratex for all the afore mentioned reasons. Thx.

Will

I am the individual that has a highlander with Oratex that did not rib stitch/Rivet or tape. Oratex is Certified in Europe to not do so on their version of light sport. 3 layers of glue each on the frame and fabric. What allows the Highlander to use this process is the 1 " cap strips. I used the full Toco iron heat on the attaching. I have put the shop vac on the fabric and measured the pull and you could not rip it off if you were Arnold himself. Call me after Tuesday as I'm in Frankfurt on a trip. 614-774-8981.

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
User avatar
BucF16
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Alexandria, Ohio

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby Beartooth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:45 pm

Thx Shawn and Bruce. Lars had explained the European certification and the Highlander rib construction that makes it possible. I agree on the stitching Shawn, once I got it down on the Cub I covered it went really fast. It also lays flatter than rivets. I think I’ll go tapeless on the fuselage but flying without a second layer of insurance on the ribs makes me a little nervous. At least on my first plane with oratex. Thx again for all the posts, much appreciated! Bruce I’ll take you up on the phone call when your back.
Will
Highlander build in progress
Colorado
Beartooth
New Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 am

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby CanadianSheepHunter » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:35 am

BucF16 wrote:
Beartooth wrote:This is my first post to the forum, wanted to start by saying thank you to everyone for all the great info! I have had my Highlander kit for a month now and it’s going really well. I’ve read this entire thread and have a few questions. I am going with Oratex and talked to Lars about not using rivets or rib stitching. He said the construction of the Highlander rib allows the omission of mechanical attachment. I know this is opening a can of worms but just wanted to get your thoughts. I know at least one person on here, can’t remember who right now, didn’t use finishing tapes in all the normal places. Without stitches or rivets you wouldn’t have to tape the wings either according to Lars. With all the discussion about the glue being activated or not it makes me lean toward having a backup method of attachment. I’ve covered an airplane with the Stewart’s system and liked that but I’m looking forward to Oratex for all the afore mentioned reasons. Thx.

Will

I am the individual that has a highlander with Oratex that did not rib stitch/Rivet or tape. Oratex is Certified in Europe to not do so on their version of light sport. 3 layers of glue each on the frame and fabric. What allows the Highlander to use this process is the 1 " cap strips. I used the full Toco iron heat on the attaching. I have put the shop vac on the fabric and measured the pull and you could not rip it off if you were Arnold himself. Call me after Tuesday as I'm in Frankfurt on a
trip. 614-774-8981.

Cheers,


Bruce


I’m curious where you mentioned 3 layers of glue ?...did you add a 3rd layer just because or do they now say 3 instead of 2 layers on each ?
User avatar
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Postby BlainS » Sun May 02, 2021 11:01 pm

Got the hang of it now! Against recommendations I attacked the baggage compartment first. Sort of like trial by fire. Worked out, no longer intimidated and going to be on gear soon.
Attachments
9F52062B-E085-46D2-9AEB-F8F31F7BCF12.jpeg
User avatar
BlainS
Forum Regular
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Just Aircraft