Elevator Gap Seal?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Elevator Gap Seal?

Post by mhcrowder »

What's the latest thinking on elevator gap seals on a regular flat horizontal stabilizer? We've added VGs to the bottom, but that's as far as we've gotten.

==
Michael Crowder
BDA
Veteran Member

Re: Elevator Gap Seal?

Post by BDA »

I do not have a flat horizontal, but all the flat tail supercubs around here swear by them. The air that flows through the gap spoiling lift on the other side, makes the "effective surface" half of what it should be.
I used Oratex Tape. 3 years on it now, holding up well.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

You can try out the elevator gap seal without much trouble using medical tape. Use thin 2 inch transparent water resistant medical tape, not the heavy cloth tape. Measure out two pieces of tape long enough to go between the elevator hinges. Join sticky side of the two pieces of tape together with about 1/2 inch of sticky tape exposed along the length of each edge. Attach the tape on the top of the horz stab and the bottom of the elevator filling the gap between the hinges. The tape should be attached to the flat surface, not the rounded leading/trailing edges. Attaching the tape to the horz stab first, then lifting the elevator all the way up before attaching the tape to the elevator will prevent the tape from interfering with the elevator travel. The tape will last for multiple test flights and will remove easily with no damage to the paint. If there is any adhesive left it will come off with alcohol. Same for the rudder gap.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

BDA wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:10 am I do not have a flat horizontal, but all the flat tail supercubs around here swear by them. The air that flows through the gap spoiling lift on the other side, makes the "effective surface" half of what it should be.
I used Oratex Tape. 3 years on it now, holding up well.
Shawn, Did you give up on the extruded "pool floaty"? I was about to produce mine. I do remember that they would blow out.

Cheers,
Bruce
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Yes Bruce, I could not keep them in.
I tried Oratex tape, it has been on ever since.

Return to “Just Aircraft”