Oratex is like Yoga Pants

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
dkshow
Veteran Member

Re: Oratex is like Yoga Pants

Post by dkshow »

Does anyone have any photos of a plane covered in Oratex without tapes? I keep hearing about it but I want to see it. Sounds interesting.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

EchoWhiskey wrote: Looking for advice on covering the gap shown. Im sure there is a preferred approach I just havent found it.
I was told to “pie cut” the holes so I would have the little flags to glue to the protruding tube, I did that but wasnt much better looking so I covered with tape.

I came to the conclusion that any hole needed an aluminum fabric plate to look profesional.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Just an update,

So there have been a lot of discussion about bad finish tape early on, tape coming off etc.

And the rule “I was told” was 6 month shelf life on the tape because of the glue they use on it.

Well I had some left over - I think it is 2 years old now, will have to check my notes, and I needed to cover an ugly spot, not critical to flight of course.

Tape went on as normal and stuck very well. Fingernail peel test was good the next day.

So I will give it a week and freeze it then pull it off- just to be sure. We shall see if it pulls the silver off.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I left the plane out at -5 F last night to see if the fabric would be loose - I have heard that it does.

So the first 2 pictures are inside before-

Last 2 are this morning at -5

The fabric had good tension inside the shop at 60* but after being in the cold it was loose around the H stab, everywhere else seemed good, not as tight as before but still good.

Makes me wonder if I need to shrink at -30 too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Is anyone using a single sheet to wrap highlander wings? If so did you overlap on leading or trailing edge. Manual calls out leading edge overlap but wants minimum 6 inches. According to my math, there is about 3 inches of overlap using a single sheet on a highlander wing.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Social Distancing at the hangar!
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Ok, i apologize for the misinformation. should have looked at manual first.

They encourage trailing edge overlap of 5cm with no adhesion of bottom layer. 2.5 with bottom layer adhesion. They want the over lap to occur on the bottom of the trailing edge. I will check whether the cove is an acceptable location for the overlap.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I spoke with Lars extensively before I wrapped my wings with one sheet, mainly because of the gap.

He said that as long as there is the prescribed overlap it does not matter if it is leading edge or trailing edge.

The Oratex glue allows for new ways of thinking. This stuff is amazing.

The only thing that Lars said you MUST do is make the overlap on a “hard surface” like cove aluminum or leading edge so the two pieces could have adequate presure applied when heating the seam. And of course get the glue hot enough for long enough, if the glue does not thermo set it is NOT AMAZING.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

BDA wrote:I spoke with Lars extensively before I wrapped my wings with one sheet, mainly because of the gap.

He said that as long as there is the prescribed overlap it does not matter if it is leading edge or trailing edge.

So, how did it go? Which edge did you do the over lap? Would you do it again?

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

In the previous post I mentioned glueing seams and having to do it on a metal surface.

What if you want (or need) to glue fabric together between hard points?

I asked Lars if you could join 2 different colors (instead of painting). He said no at first then said if you were to make the seam on the bench where you could get the presure and heat right it would be fine. So I did that on my test piece, used 6” overlap and joined 2 colors in between hard points, by glueing and ironing on the bench. That was 2 years ago and the piece has held up very well outside in our weather. The seam is solid, but you can tell it is a seam because the red fabric I joined it to lets a little light through but the seam does not.

I would not hesitate to make a between edge seam if I needed to for repair or ?
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Clark in AZ wrote:
BDA wrote:I spoke with Lars extensively before I wrapped my wings with one sheet, mainly because of the gap.

So, how did it go? Which edge did you do the over lap? Would you do it again?

Clark
On Page 8 of this thread is a picture of the gap where I made my overlap in the flap and aileron cove.
Yes, I would absolutely do it again, saved me several thousand dollars of wasted fabric and you cant see the seam at all, and I am very confident in the integrity. No worrys :D

IF THE SEAM is NOT in the cove, the direction of overlap is very important. This is just common sense but needs to be said. Think like shingles on your roof, you don't want the air that is flowing over the wing (and under) to try to lift the seam edge, so make sure that any exposed edges will "watershed", or not catch the air.

One of my edges did not have enough over-lap in the cove, so I had to extend the patch piece outside the cove - but if I put that piece on last, after the main fabric was on, the patch edge would have been against the wind and have the potential to lift. So I had to put the "patch" down first and overlap that with the main fabric which left the exposed edge "downstream" and in the cove.

I have no doubt that the glue is strong enough the edges would not ever separate - but the plane will have to pass inspection at some point, so follow the rules.

*ALSO*
I said in that post that I used 3 rolls of tape (2-3", and 1-4"), but that did not end up being enough. I had to order another roll of 3", and I have used tape VERY sparingly, only were absolutely necessary. I will most likely have to add tape later, to the high wear areas. But that is the beauty of Oratex right? - You can add at any time.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. The Highlander manual wants tape on the false ribs before applying fabric. What about with Oratex? Did anyone do that? Or something different? Or nothing?
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Fuselage Covering,

Apparently there is more than one way to wrap the fuselage. I have seen some do it in 2 pieces, left and right, or 3 pieces, left, right, and bottom. I suspect 3 pieces would be 'easier'.

Trying to think through this, if sides are completed and then bottom, there would need to be an edge tape run the length of the longeron on the bottom of the sides. That I guess is a reason to bottom, then sides.

I am guessing from a performance perspective, there is no real benefit of one over the other, except ease of installation. But if anyone has any insight, please share.

On a separate note, I just want anyone to know that may be considering the dark blue color, that I have found some visible defects in the fabric. Apparently, if I would have found these before starting my work, I could have had it replaced. Further to this, apparently the factory has some quality control issues and these defects are not being identified properly. I am curious to know what others are seeing, even with different colors. The defects are transient, more in some places than others. Personally, I can live with it. And as I didn't see the issues until doing the wings, not much I can do either way.

Had I known about this QC issue, I would have checked the rolls before using.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

That is the reason to cover the bottom first. Same with the horizontal stab and elevator. May as well have that taped joint where it is less visible. Too bad about the color irregularities with your fabric. Did you send photos to Oratex? It's unlikely they will offer a refund at this point bu they should be put on notice they have problem with their product.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

Ok great.

Ya sent Lars a bunch of photos.

Its not terribly apparent. I just cant help but feel for the cost, it should be perfect.
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That’s why I did my fabric and paint myself; I know that I don’t know what I am doing, so all the problems are mine and I can’t be mad at anybody!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”