AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by Clark in AZ »

AV8R Paul wrote:
Clark in AZ wrote:WOW! Sorry to hear about this Oratex glue issue. I hope you get it resolved quickly and with little impact on your progress.

I'm making arrangements to go get my SuperSTOL on the 18th. I plan to spend a few days at the factory working on it, then pack it up and drive it home (3-4 days). Can't wait! :D t

Clark
I checked my calendar, and the soonest I'll be going is probably the week of March 25th. I'll probably be leaving Sunday afternoon. Looking at a map from Wahalla to Cave Creek that is one LONG drive 1958 Miles. I hope you have a Co-Pilot. Looks like we will be using Poly Fiber as well.
Just booking my flight/car/truck/hotel now. Looks like we're going to miss each other. I'll be there on the 18th, departing the 23rd. Yep, a LONG drive with no co-pilot. Hopefully the worst of the weather has past. Keep us posted on the refund saga. Hope that is a non-event.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I’ve started finishing & sanding. I’ll spend most of the day tomorrow doing that. I’ll be heading to Travelers Rest SC to deliver them to Chris Wallen and start installing.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Completed the sandin, I have a couple of patches needed. I plan on driving to the airport to get the patches finished. Then I will finish sand the patches. Taking a break this afternoon.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have developed a head cold. However, I went to the airport and applied the micro fill on my patches. I’ll finish them up Monday. I’ll be driving to Travelers Rest on Sunday March 25th to work with Chris on installing the tail feathers. He is making excellent progress on the Wings. If I didn’t have a commitment next Saturday, I’d leave Monday. I am getting pumped about getting my plane done.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I've been under the weather for the last 3 days with a sinus infection. Chris Wallen is making Excellent progress.
Chris is "trying a different approach on this one. Going to fit the firewall before I cover. That way once it's covered and painted I can just bolt it all on instead of drilling and fitting everything."
I received an E-Mail from Lars Gleitsmann concerning the Oratex, he said the Glue Issue is resolved, and my order is ready to ship. I guess Oratex is back on.

Like I have said in a previous post, I can see Chris Wallen tapping his toe saying where the heck is Paul, and where are his Tail Feathers? I'm driving to Travelers Rest on Sunday March 25th, will get to hang the Tail Feathers then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Sorry to hear about the sinus infection, no fun! Great to hear about the Oratex, hope that all proceeds with out a problem.

I'm at the Just factory and have been working on my kit. Got an aileron done (ready to cover) and will finish a flap tomorrow. I'll load it up Thurs. for the trip home. It's been a blast, can't wait to get it home...

Clark

Here is a pic of the flap
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Sorry to hear about the sinus infection, no fun! Great to hear about the Oratex, hope that all proceeds with out a problem.

I'm at the Just factory and have been working on my kit. Got an aileron done (ready to cover) and will finish a flap tomorrow. I'll load it up Thurs. for the trip home. It's been a blast, can't wait to get it home...

Clark

Here is a pic of the flap
I’m starting to feel better. Lars said it should be shipped an I should receive it by Friday next week. Looks like your making good progress. I am really looking forward to driving out. I ready to see my tail feathers mounted.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I am officially finished with the Horizontal Stabilizers, Elevators, Vertical Stabilizer, and Rudder. I'm getting stuff packed to take it with me. When I pulled out my Carbon Fiber Floor Board for the baggage compartment floor, I noticed it looks like something had gotten on it an it was wiped down. I looks like over spray white paint, and they tried to wipe it off. I also couldn't find the back wall of the Baggage compartment. A couple of days ago, one of the men across the way noticed my hanger personnel access door open. He went in and couldn't find anything out of place. It could have been my hanger mate or his wife was doing something out at the airport. I will have to dig around to see if he moved the Carbon Fiber back wall of the Baggage compartment someplace. Ugh, I hope we can salvage the part. I'll take it with me to see what Chris thinks. I may get to remake two parts, at least they are easy ones to build.

Wallen Aircraft LLC - Chris Wallen is doing an excellent job. He is working on “Fitting the firewall and installing everything so after covering and paint I can just bolt it back on.”

I also got an e-Mail from Lars Gleitsmann saying they had shipped my Oratex Material, so I guess they figured out their process problem.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today I Checked with Chris Wallen and the Oratex has arrived. Next week is going to be fun!
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That's great Paul. I just got home with my kit. Looooong drive. Now to unload and start the inventory.

Have fun next week. I know you will. Sorry our schedules didn't mesh, maybe another time...

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

He Clark, I see in you picture a couple posts back, that the Just 103 is in the background. Do you know the status on it? so as to not hijack Paul's thread you can answer in the Just 103 thread.

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well I got to Chris Wallen’s today.
We got the vertical Stabilizer installed. Now, I get to start building the hinge interfaces down into the fuselage tomorrow. It will take a couple of days to finish.
Chris got the rear baggage bulkhead cut and fitted, while I started building a new baggage compartment floor board. I got the bottom side glassed, and will finish it tomorrow. The first one I built got something on the Honey Comb Carbon Fiber side got on the floor board and stained it a white color.
We also discussed the instrument panel layout, and discussed 2-G5’s or one. I think will stick to just one.
The Silver Oratex with the Plum Crazy Purple is going to look excellent.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Looking good!

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

We fit the Horizontal Stabilizer & Vertical Stabilizer, Rudder, & Elevators. Looking sweet. We got the seats installed. Chris got a couple of the slats put together, & riveted. He also painted several parts rudders, bracket, strut, etc.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Paul, Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site: