AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

The fun begins
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Nice! Coming along. Before you know it you'll be covering it!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here are a few more photo’s. Chris welded in the strut cable bushings while I worked on the bottom two ribs that blend in the airfoil into the fushelage. We also trimmed the instrument panel an put it in to see what it was going to look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Looks great. How much weight do you think all the wood is adding? Nice panel too!

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Looks great. How much weight do you think all the wood is adding? Nice panel too!

Clark
The ribs add about 13 pounds to the tail. Chris said the last one he built he had to add 9 pounds of weight to the tail to get the CG in range. He said with the ribs should alleviate the need for dead weight.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Excellent! Hope that works out for you. So, you're going with Oratex and paint? The purple?

Got word my SS kit should be ready for pickup by the end of the month. A little earlier than expected. :D

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark,

I went to the factory today. They are going over Troys SuperSTOL XL polishing, painting, cleaning, & fixing. Troy’s plane is Blue Black & Silver, I really liked it, I’d be willing to put up with the Dallas Cowboys colors. I’m not sure either Blue or Plum Crazy, but I am leaning towards Plum Crazy Purple.
Are you picking up your kit or having it shipped? Is your kit an SuperSTOL XL or a SuperSTOL? Troy's plane had the new gear shocks, I like the esthetics of the new gear design. I hope they perform well.

AV8R Paul

Clark in AZ wrote:Excellent! Hope that works out for you. So, you're going with Oratex and paint? The purple?

Got word my SS kit should be ready for pickup by the end of the month. A little earlier than expected. :D

Clark
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I found out my N number has been reserved, N357TX.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Paul,

I got a ride in that plane when I visited the factory in Nov. It is nice. Troy gave me a ride and I also got a ride in Gary's yellow 914 powered one. I opted for the regular SuperSTOL. One reason was I didn't want the fuel burn of the Titan, Troy said it will burn through some fuel. Don't know which engine I'm going with yet, Rotax 915is maybe or perhaps a Yamaha Apex if Steve Henry gets it all sorted out soon.

Not a fan of the Cowboys either, nor the NFL. However, that blue/black/silver is good looking. The purple would definitely be different, especially if you are going with the traditional scheme. You can't lose either way.

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I was contemplating a SuperSTOL With an edge performance turbo charged rotax 912 with fuel injection. However having a 912ULS, I’m not a big Rotax supporter. After being stranded with a Dead Rotax, I decided I want it to a Titan, because it is a standard Aircraft engine. However the SuperSTOL With a edge performance rotax is an Excellent combination.
Clark in AZ wrote:Hey Paul,

I got a ride in that plane when I visited the factory in Nov. It is nice. Troy gave me a ride and I also got a ride in Gary's yellow 914 powered one. I opted for the regular SuperSTOL. One reason was I didn't want the fuel burn of the Titan, Troy said it will burn through some fuel. Don't know which engine I'm going with yet, Rotax 915is maybe or perhaps a Yamaha Apex if Steve Henry gets it all sorted out soon.

Not a fan of the Cowboys either, nor the NFL. However, that blue/black/silver is good looking. The purple would definitely be different, especially if you are going with the traditional scheme. You can't lose either way.

Clark
AV8R Paul
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

What was the cause for being stranded with the Rotax?
Super Stol Kit #299
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

AV8R Paul wrote:... After being stranded with a Dead Rotax,..
Ooo, that's bad. Details please.

My engine options are wide open at this point, I've got a ways to go before I need to commit. Edge Performance is definitely on the list. I had been considering a 912is before I heard the 915 was coming. About the same time I learned of the Yamaha RX1, APEX, and the new Genesis 998 Turbo. I think the 998 Turbo would be the perfect engine for these planes (fuel injected, turbo charged, light weight (save about 100lbs over the Titan), BIG horse power (easily 200+ if needed), miserly on fuel, well built, and last but not least relatively inexpensive). Just need to get Teal to build the gearbox/adapter and Steve to figure the wiring out!

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The cause of my engine problems started with Auto Fuel with alcohol. It stripped epoxy out of my fuel tanks and ran it through the engine. The tanks were suppose to be Alcohol Resistant Fiberglass. Looking inside the tanks there were two different colors of epoxies. The tanks were made from alcohol resistant fiberglass epoxy (dark brown), but the baffles were NOT made from alcohol resistant epoxy it was a very light yellowish brown. It stripped the epoxy off of the baffles and caused problems with my carburetors, sliders sticking. I had the carbs rebuilt 3 times trying to iron out the sticking problems, and the Rotax Dealer in Florida did a poor rebuilding them. In 6 months started being hard to start, & later leaking fuel another rebuild. Then again about 6 months later leaking fuel again several more hard starts, another Carb rebuild. Each time it caused problems with hard starting. I was flying to a Flyin, and the float on the pilot side had absorbed too much fuel, needle valve not shutting off fuel. Put in a used float that weight was correct to try to fix, everything ok with fuel. Then I decided to land to refuel, and after refueling it wouldn’t even try to start. The Sprag Clutch gave out. All of the hard starts killed the sprag clutch. You have to remove the engine to replace a sprag clutch. I had some tools but not enough to remove an engine & replace a sprag clutch. It was a 10 page saga.

Titan Engine the starter is up front, the alternator is up front, when you land at an airport an have problems you can find a mechanic to assist

If I was going to use a Rotax I was going to use a BadAss Edge Performance - Rotax 912, with Fuel Injection, & a Turbo. The Rotax Engine is great, the Rotax carbs, carb balancing, and fuel injection are the weak point.
http://badasspowersports.com/badass-sho ... e-engines/
No Rotax carbs with sinking float problems, the Fuel Injection would solve the fuel problems! I’m not sold on the Rotax Fuel Injection either. In talking with the Rotax Trainers, they really don’t have all of the issues worked out. In taking to the class, the instructor told us the electronics module on top of the engine, with the Red Rotax Logo on it, needs to be zip tied on to assure it doesn’t unplug itself in flight.
The Edge Performance Engine doesn’t use the carbs that are plagued with float problems, and it uses a better designed fuel injection system.
Clark in AZ wrote:
AV8R Paul wrote:... After being stranded with a Dead Rotax,..
Ooo, that's bad. Details please.

My engine options are wide open at this point, I've got a ways to go before I need to commit. Edge Performance is definitely on the list. I had been considering a 912is before I heard the 915 was coming. About the same time I learned of the Yamaha RX1, APEX, and the new Genesis 998 Turbo. I think the 998 Turbo would be the perfect engine for these planes (fuel injected, turbo charged, light weight (save about 100lbs over the Titan), BIG horse power (easily 200+ if needed), miserly on fuel, well built, and last but not least relatively inexpensive). Just need to get Teal to build the gearbox/adapter and Steve to figure the wiring out!

Clark
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have started on the leading Edge Cuffs for the other Horizontal Stabilizer, I vacuum bag it to get all excess resin removed. It is 3 layers of carbon fiber. It finally went without any hitches. I’ve got 3 out of 6 of the Leading Edge Cuffs finished. The temps are headed to the 20s so it will be a few days before I get to do another.

I finally got the vacuum pump working the way it is designed to work. It pumps it down to 15 inch Hg and then stops, as the pressure bleeds off back to 10 inch Hg it kicks back on. I also added a excess epoxy resin catch to make sure it isn’t being sucked into the pump. I didn’t have the epoxy trap for the first 2 Cuffs. It’s made out of some scrap 2 inch PVC. I made it with a square base so I wouldn’t be plagued with problems of it falling over. It worked really well.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I think I’m taking the day off, it’s cold. The first time I checked the weather it said 17 Degrees. It was sleeting last night, but the ground was so warm, it did stay.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”