AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by SheepdogRD »

AV8R Paul wrote:SheepdogRD how did you pick you planes name, Ms. Tonka?
I've been a Tonka toy fan since I was a kid -- when they were all metal and had developed a reputation for toughness. The Highlander is a Tonka sort of airplane, so it just fits.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I received a text message from Chris Wallen concerning my Titan engine. Looking Sweet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Very nice, I'll bet you can't wait to get it...
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Very nice, I'll bet you can't wait to get it...
I’m looking forward to driving to Wallen Aircraft to see the engine and to deliver my instrument panel, floor boards and the tail feathers back to Chris so we can start the build. In talking with Chris, the weight gain from adding the ribs is going to have a positive effect. He said with the SuperSTOL XL they have to add lead in the tail to get weight & balance within limits.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have the leading edge pieces completed and the hinge interface fairings complete for the pilots side. I have completely installed the hinge fairing and leading edge on the elevator. I need to hold off completing the fairings on the Horizontal Stabilizer because Chris needs to weld in new bushings for the strut cables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve already started the ribs for the co-pilots side. I’ve cut and fit them, and have already put on two coats of varnish.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Started glassing a leading edge for the Horizontal Stabilizer. I also bonded in the first two ribs on the Co-Pilots side.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Love it Paul. Great stuff. Keep the updates and pics coming!
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I didn’t get much done today, bonded some stiffeners to the long ribs that have no center support. I had to take Guinness to the vet.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Which covering system are you going to use? Are you planning to rib stitch, fabric rivet or none? Hope Guinness is alright?

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Which covering system are you going to use? Are you planning to rib stitch, fabric rivet or none? Hope Guinness is alright?

Clark
Stitts Poly Fiber which comes with the kit. I’d prefer rib stitching, but Chris Wallen prefers the rivets. I thought about Oratex but I didn’t like the quality of two planes I’ve seen. One was a SuperSTOL I saw in Valdez. It was done in Yellow, the tapes didn’t even come close to matching in color. It was even built by a professional A&P.

Also, Guinness is doing fine, he hurt his right rear leg when he was a pup. He’s been tri podding it for the last week, so we called Dr Pipes, he said arthritis has set in on the knee joint he injured. So now we put our pit bull on steroids, pain pills and muscle relaxers so he can develop a reall pit bull attitude.
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Oh, that doesn't look good. I think the colors in Oratex are not great. I guess if you went with white and then painted a trim color it might be ok but that kinda defeats the purpose. I'm torn between the Poly Fiber and Stewart's. I really like the non toxic feature of Stewart's and it seems to be a little more forgiving. I don't know... :?

Clark
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Oh, that doesn't look good. I think the colors in Oratex are not great. I guess if you went with white and then painted a trim color it might be ok but that kinda defeats the purpose. I'm torn between the Poly Fiber and Stewart's. I really like the non toxic feature of Stewart's and it seems to be a little more forgiving. I don't know... :?

Clark
The only reason I’m going with the Stitts Poly Fiber, is it comes with the kit. I’m not big on White or Yellow, I’d prefer a paint scheme.
AV8R Paul
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Paul, you mentioned rib stitching or riviting using Polyfiber. There is a much easier way; gluing. My Highlander first flew in 2006 and there has been no cover detachment anywhere, not even on the bottom of the wings. It is very easy and much quicker and neater than any stitch or rivet process. If you are interested I'll detail the process here.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

OH YES! Please do Tell. Most of my Buds, that build locally, say to even stitch the vertical stab. So I'm interested. Oratex claims 100 psi glue clamping pressure. Which sounds like a lot! I'd like to hear what every one's opinion is on this subject. I plan to rivet the wings per plans, but the tail is still up in the air.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”