AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Paul,

Yes, I too got a ride in Troy's beast but I couldn't justify loosing the extra weight of the motor and extended fuse right off the top of the useful load. I still want to be able to carry two with a lot of "stuff" and full fuel. I was also put off by the fuel burn on that Titan. I know you can fly it somewhat miserly but most won't, me being one of them. Troy told me how much it set him back flying off the 40 hours on that, it was a chunk of change.

So, I'm looking at several engine options, Rotax 915 (if they ever release it), Yamaha APEX (150hp, Steve Henry's completing work on this), or maybe the new Yamaha 998 turbo (180-200hp), if none of those work out, then the fall back would be a Rotax big bore 912is. So, at least 140hp one way or the other. :mrgreen:

Thanks for posting the link to the other Rotax, that looks interesting too! Fuel injected and turbo'd, just what I want.

Keep the excellent posts coming!
Clark,
I've had a Rotax 912ULS. I was cogitating going with a SuperSTOL with the Edge Performance - Rotax 912 with EFI & a Turbo. I really liked the Edge Performance engine 156 HP, flawless looking design, and a turbo to boot. However, I had a learning experience last year with my Rotax. I opted for the Titan, because it is better known by A&P's, and if you are on a trip it may be a little easier to find a A&P to help you if you have a dead engine. I also know I need a little more HP to get my overweight (Fat A**) into the air!
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

I'm curious, what would be the weight difference between the titan and the 156 hp turbo 912?

I'm a 912 fan, but agree that shops are much more comfortable working on a titan rather than a 912. One day I'm sure that will change. But we're still not there yet, even with the gobs of 912's out there.

I would seriously wonder about pushing 156 hp out of a 912. Just a gut feeling, but for longevity I would think 125 hp is probably as hard as I would push a 912 if expecting long term reliability from it.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

av8rps wrote:I'm curious, what would be the weight difference between the titan and the 156 hp turbo 912?

I'm a 912 fan, but agree that shops are much more comfortable working on a titan rather than a 912. One day I'm sure that will change. But we're still not there yet, even with the gobs of 912's out there.

I would seriously wonder about pushing 156 hp out of a 912. Just a gut feeling, but for longevity I would think 125 hp is probably as hard as I would push a 912 if expecting long term reliability from it.
162.4 lbs Edge Performance it’s only 154 HP
259 - 296 lbs Titan X340 depending on how it is equipped, I’ve equipped mine to be on the light side.
I posted the link to BadAss Performance below for more info.
I am a Light Sport Repairman and a Certified iRMT, I really like the engine it is a good design. The military runs a turbocharged 912 in the Preditor Drone, and they have wrung out the propblems. However, waiting for parts gets old. After having my Sprag Clutch go out and getting to pull the engine. I like the Titans starter, & a real alternator.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I got a Text Message from Chris Wallen, he said I had a Christmas Present come in.
8439E3DE-6FE7-4471-889C-6D3AC57AF5A8.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have started the ribs for the Horizontal Stabilizer & the Elevator on the Co-Pilots Side. I have 4 out of the 9 cut & fit and ready for permanent installation. Considering I did the more difficult Pilots Side with the trim elevator trim tab, I’m hoping the Co-Pilots side will go a little quicker. I’m hoping I have the Co-Pilots side complete by next Friday 12/15. I had one rib on the Horizontal Stabilizer that I messed up, and I rebuilt it today.

I’ve decided to go with a Garmin G5 Electronis Flight Instrument, versus the typical Airspeed, Compass, Rate of Climb, Altimeter, Slip Ball, etc. One gage does it all, and a lot lighter than lighter weight. I will have a Garmin G3X Touch in the center of the panel. It’s not going to look like what I am use too, but I really like all gages in on functionality, and readability. I am going to use a Garmin GTR 200 Comm Radio, and a Garmin GTX-45R Remote, ADS-B in and out transponder,
ADSB WAAS GPS.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I know this is extremely early to be thinking about this, but I am cogitating potential colors. If your interested I’d like some help picking my color. The next time any of you post, give me your recommendations, it might help me make the decision. Here are the colors, but then again I reserve the right to pick my own color.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Paul, it's never too early to be thinking about color, it's a very tough and BIG decision. Are you looking to do the traditional SuperSTOL paint scheme or something different? From your picks above it looks like you prefer darker colors, correct?

I too am thinking about colors and schemes and I won't have my kit til Feb or Mar...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Paul, it's never too early to be thinking about color, it's a very tough and BIG decision. Are you looking to do the traditional SuperSTOL paint scheme or something different? From your picks above it looks like you prefer darker colors, correct?

I too am thinking about colors and schemes and I won't have my kit til Feb or Mar...

Clark
Clark,
I’m not big into Red, Yellow, or Green M&M colors. I guess I do prefer the Darker Colors, I just don’t care for lighter pastel shades.
I like Chris’ paint scheme. However, the white stripe would be Black, and would wrap under the belly, the Dark Grey bottom would be a lighter Grey. The lading gear and struts will be black, with anti skid on the gear legs to assist in getting in and out.
So what color do you prefer? I had a Maroon Dodge Dakota, and really liked it (it is my Schools Colors). I currently have a Nissan XD in the Blue, and I alway liked the 1971 Dodge Challengers Purple.
Paul
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Co-Pilot side Ribs cut and ready to install.
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

BTW, I like the Plum Crazy color of the three you posted. ;)
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:BTW, I like the Plum Crazy color of the three you posted. ;)
Blue 0
Maroon 0
Plum Crazy Purple 2
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:Excellent! Details on the floorboards... How thick will the finished board be? What changes are you making? Thanks and MORE PICS!!!! :D
I missed your question, the foam is 1/8 inch with 3 layers of carbon, I would guess about 3/16 of an inch thick. I’ll go measure the thickness tomorrow.
AV8R Paul
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Yep, add me on the list for purple. And maybe silver instead of light gray?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

That’s brings the tally to:
Blue 0
Maroon 0
Plum Crazy Purple 3
SheepdogRD, Clark, & Briann casting their votes. Briann said she also liked Gary’s Yellow SuperSTOL.
This will be interesting to see the results, I have yet to cast my vote,
Last edited by AV8R Paul on Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

SheepdogRD wrote:Yep, add me on the list for purple. And maybe silver instead of light gray?
SheepdogRD how did you pick you planes name, Ms. Tonka?
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”