Carbon Cobra composite flying wing

Anything NOT related to aviation posted here. Keep this area clean and civil.
** NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE, PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE TECH FORUM **
Dave G
Forum Regular

Carbon Cobra composite flying wing

Post by Dave G »

Hello all. Since this is the first post in this forum i would like to show off my latest project. I call it the Carbon Cobra. I had alot of fun building this plane and learned alot about molding. And its just fast as heck. I started with the plug. Then made molds of it and built a few, But these pics are of the prototype. This first version went through a few changes as i test flew it during the late summer/fall. Its currently powered with a Mega brushless speed 400 motor 15/16/3. I run it on 10, 11 and 12 cell packs. Its 32" span. All up weight with 10 cells of GP1100 is 31oz.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

here is a pic of a the structure after parting the mold. I used Aeropoxy and 5oz carbon fiber. Lots of wood inside also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

heres a pic after some mods were done to the te and motor location. different decals too..
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

here is a current pic with a better camera. On one ocasion my nephew tooks some video's. il post a link. the vids are under 1meg.

http://www.dgmodels.rchomepage.com/CarbonCobra38.AVI

http://www.dgmodels.rchomepage.com/CarbonCobra532.AVI

copy and paste into your brouser or click on link and save target
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

Here is a pic of the current motor setup. Ive been running APC 5x5, 4.5x5.5, 5.25x4.75 and 4.75x6 props depending on the conditions. The GP batterys are holding up good at 32amps burst. The Mega motor is holding up real well so far. Castle Creations 35 amp programable ESC and HS85MG servos for elevons.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

This is a pic of the second layup. I got the weight down on this one to 12oz. I used one full layer of carbon and carbon d cell on both halfs toped with a layer of 2oz glass.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

This is a good one. This is a pic of the molds clamped together after gluing the two halfs together. Looks like a porkipine thingy,,,
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

This is a pic of the plug and mold just after parting. As you can see theres some paint transfer to.... I used Partall PVA and carnuba wax on the plug but the paint was still active. It came out of the mold ok though.

Dave Gherardini
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

This is 1 layer of carbon with a carbon dcell in the molds.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

interior stuff. mostly balsa with a spruce spar. This was the second interior layup.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

I made some servo cover molds for the bird to. This is a pic of the plug.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

this is a pic of the servo arm cover plug after its covered in glass and epoxy
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

finished mold pic
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

heres the first test layup from scrap crabon.
Dave G
Forum Regular

Post by Dave G »

And heres the test piece out of the mold. All this work and i never used them.. Thats ok though,, I might need them for something else..

Return to “Off Topic Discussions”