2-Place Corvair Personal Cruiser?

for general discussion of the Personal Cruiser
Sean_Caranna
Founder

2-Place Corvair Personal Cruiser?

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Scott,

Are there any plans to make a 2-Place Corvair Personal Cruiser?

I think the CPC will be a great aircraft but I just can't commit to a single seat aircraft.

Perhaps splitting the fuselage panel and adding in 10 to 12 inches along with a longer spar and wider bulkheads, firewall, etc. It’s just speculation that that might work. I'd really have to know more about the design and start crunching #s.

Sean
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
kerrjf

Post by kerrjf »

I think the two place version would be the Vision--see www.visionaircraft.com

Joe
Vision #291
Joseph Kerr
Vision #291
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Is a Corvair engine a good engine for a vision? I thought they were running around 160 HP.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Their site lists suitability from a starting point of 100hp (Subaru) so a Corvair would just work.
John
Go love a biplane today :)
Scott
Topic Moderator

Post by Scott »

If the Vision was built light, a Corvair would work. Light - meaning the use of carbon and lighter occupants. If a redrive was used then the Covair could put out more than the 100hp that most builders shoot for when using the Corvair in the common direct drive set-up.

Don't expect to put two 200 pounders in and get off the gound with 100hp in a reasonable length runway.
Scott VanderVeen
www.pro-composites.com
mikey127

Post by mikey127 »

Scott wrote:If the Vision was built light, a Corvair would work. Light - meaning the use of carbon and lighter occupants. If a redrive was used then the Covair could put out more than the 100hp that most builders shoot for when using the Corvair in the common direct drive set-up.

Don't expect to put two 200 pounders in and get off the gound with 100hp in a reasonable length runway.
But is it not possible to get 120-130hp out of the corvair?? Also the use of a redrive or a rear drive system like great plaines sells would help, would it not?

I'm really interested in building a vision, but a little hesitant because there are so few of them around. Also I've never used composites to build anything.

mike
Scott
Topic Moderator

Post by Scott »

Check with the Corvair Authority on how feasable it is to get 120-130 hp from the Corvair engine. Some builders had added big bore cylinders and upto 3100cc.

There are plenty on Vision builders around the U.S. and a handfull in Austrailia. It would be a good idea if you have never built anything from composite materials to attend an EAA workshop or visit a Vision builder, or invest $29 in the T.U.B. video by Steve Rahm. Contact Steve Rahm at visionaircraft.com for a builder closest to you.
Scott VanderVeen
www.pro-composites.com

Return to “Personal Cruiser”