aileron/flaps or flaperons

For the technical discussion of aircraft design to include engineering practices, design techniques, questions, and recommendations.

mr157ifhz
Forum Regular

aileron/flaps or flaperons

Post by mr157ifhz »

My plane has just ailerons, no flaps. I would like to either change to flaperons (they are full span) or totaly reconfigure with seperate flaps/ailerons. The flaperon route is by far the easiest, I've already made the mixer setup to raise and lower them. My ailerons are simple, top hinged with 6" sections of piano-type hinge, and moved with a torque tube. Some I have spoken with have stated that perhaps the simple piano-type hinge would not be strong enough for flaperon use. I could make completely new hinges, or perhaps hinge the entire length of the flaperon(is the sonex like this?) Any thoughts on this?
-Matt
trackwelder
Forum Regular

Re: aileron/flaps or flaperons

Post by trackwelder »

When you are talking flaperon are you talking a setup like the Kitfox where the flaperon is a separate wing or are you talking using your ailerons as the Flaperon, I don't believe the load seen would be any extra than what is on the ailerons already. the extruded piano hinge if it works for the aileron will work for a flaperon, depending on gross weight of aircraft.

Return to “Aircraft Design”