Aero Harley Questions

For technical discussion of ALL V-Twin Motorcycle aircraft engine conversions.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Aero Harley Questions

Post by mhcrowder »

I have a few questions if you don't mind answering, which might make a good FAQ for your website......

1. Even though I like the sound of a good engine, I currenly fly in a "sound sensitive" area with neighbor complaints to deal with...... are there muffler options and what problems, performance-wise/weight-wise, do you think this would cause?

2. How many engines are currently flying, how may have been sold? Other than the 601 what airframes are they planned to be mounted in? (any other Sonex owners contacted you?)

3. Typical RPM range for Engine and Prop. Prop Recommendations? Any problems running max RPM for extended time at cruise?

4. Acceptable fuel types? Can it handle 100LL and MoGas?

5. Projected TBO?

6. I don't see it listed on your webpage....what about alternator ptions? Amp Output? Is it additional weight?

7. I was considering the GrandRapids EIS to monitor the Jabiru. What are you using in the 601? Are any of your custormers using Digital Engine Monitors?

8. You mentioned 2004/2005 engines. Are there differences? or is just likely a price increase?

9. Are you planning on being at Sun-N-Fun 2005? Right now I'm planning on making it to check out the engine options.

Thanks Again,
Michael Crowder
Sonex #293
Brett
Topic Moderator

Post by Brett »

1. Even though I like the sound of a good engine, I currenly fly in a "sound sensitive" area with neighbor complaints to deal with...... are there muffler options and what problems, performance-wise/weight-wise, do you think this would cause?

answer 1. Yes we can make it quiet. A good 2 into 1 exhaust with baffles will give a slight increase in performance. We just went for the sound.

2. How many engines are currently flying, how may have been sold? Other than the 601 what airframes are they planned to be mounted in? (any other Sonex owners contacted you?)

answer 2. 4 flying. Rans S6ES, Sonerai, Baby Ace, KR 2, Fly Baby, Powered Parachutes and it looks like a 701 soon. Not all are flying yet.

3. Typical RPM range for Engine and Prop. Prop Recommendations? Any problems running max RPM for extended time at cruise?

answer 3. 3800 to 4200 cruise. 5000 to 5200 max depends on gear ratio. The longest we have ran one at max power is 2 hours.

4. Acceptable fuel types? Can it handle 100LL and MoGas?

answer 4. Both no problem.

5. Projected TBO?

answer 5. 1000 hours

6. I don't see it listed on your webpage....what about alternator ptions? Amp Output? Is it additional weight?

answer 6. It's 32 amp and it comes with the engine and is inclued in the weight.

7. I was considering the GrandRapids EIS to monitor the Jabiru. What are you using in the 601? Are any of your custormers using Digital Engine Monitors?

answer 7. Plain gauges on the 601. There is a digital system on the powered parachute that works great. We are getting ready to do one with a Digital Stratomaster Ultra.

8. You mentioned 2004/2005 engines. Are there differences? or is just likely a price increase?

answer 8. They are the same. Just a slight price increase to us. But we are not raising or price.

9. Are you planning on being at Sun-N-Fun 2005? Right now I'm planning on making it to check out the engine options.

answer 9. Yes we will be there. I don't know what booth yet.
If your not going to try, then whats the point of talking about it?

Return to “V-Twin Motorcycle Engine Technical Discussions”