CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Use this forum to discuss in-depth fixed, portable, and handheld aviation electronics.
To include Handheld Radios, Air Mobile HAM, Radios, GPS, APRS, ADS-B, FLIR, Pocket PCs, Palm, etc.
Wes
Premium Member

Re: CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Post by Wes »

I've been using my IC-706MKIIG on aircraft com for a couple years now and works fine. (obviously for test purposes only)
The bandpass filters on the Tx driver stage has a pretty severe rolloff down at 118 mhz, but you can still get 0.5 to 1.5 watts out to the antenna and with a tuned antenna, -works great. See Jose Monroy's writeup at: http://www.aircraftdelivery.net/ferrypi ... rplane.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
He does a little pwr out check in the last couple pages.
I've done a couple of HF installs similar to his, but with a trailing wire antenna, and with properly integrated audio wiring (using the aircraft audio panel and headsets). I'm planning on a trailing wire system on the Highlander, but I've got to get it flying first!

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Re: CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Apart from the almost obligatory disclaimer about out of band transmitting, I prefer to have all needed weapons with me before I go in to combat. I'd rather have a ham radio that is modified for air band transmit than be stuck with squawking 7600 if my primary radio goes out in flight.

I did a little more digging and it looks like the IC-7000 is also modifiable for AM on the air band.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."

Return to “Aviation Electronics”