Extreme Windshield Installations

CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Extreme Windshield Installations

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Front edge trimmed to leave a 1/8” gap to firewall for expansion, but need to the the front edge clean yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Lots of clamps !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Now to mark the sides.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The Diablo Diamond Blades from Home Depot sure work excellent for cutting Lexan. The 4 1/2” diameter blade is just the right size on a small grinder. An Oscillating cutting tool works excellent too, but I prefer the Diablo blade...less mess too.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Just showing the Diablo Diamond wheel cutting blade on a grinder, and the Milwaukee Oscillating tool with two of the blades I tried with it, both tools are great for cutting Lexan but I prefer the Diablo wheel blade cutter.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The sanding block attachment for the Oscillating tool is excellent for sanding the Lexan edges, and corners. Also a coarse file.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Installation complete except for painting the brackets and former. The Lexan mock firewall I used was 0.12” thick which was too thick because when you need to bend the top of firewall forward aprox 10 degrees to get the top of the Fiberglass former at the proper angle the heavy Lexan would bend ok at the high point at the Center but was too stiff towards the sides...so I ended up replacing the Lexan windshield that I had cut too short along the firewall. When you start putting clecos’s into the Fiberglass former through the Lexan windshield make sure the former is fully contacting the inside of the windshield...I didn’t catch that and that’s how I screwed up.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trying to show the 1/16” to 1/8” gap between firewall and Lexan for expansion.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Not finished with the vertical door metal.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Can’t wait for the metal brackets to be painted.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Door metal
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I may trim some metal off the top left of vertical door metal later, some tuck it under the windshield bracket above it, I will be painting them black then cover the junction point with black Sailcloth tape(used it on the Lexan on my Chinook), or with some Black Oratex, but the Sailcloth tape is much easier.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Because I never had the proper angle on the Fiberglass former all the way to the edges I ended up trimming the Fiberglass former too short, so now I plan to add a small trianlge of Fiberglass to the bottom that I cut too short, you can see the washer from the Cleco is very close to the bottom edge.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trying to show the full contact of the windshield to the Fiberglass former all the way to and including the right edge. The Titanium firewall is installed.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Left side

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”