Extreme Windshield Installations

CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Extreme Windshield

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Same as last pic just trying to show how much mock firewall is above the former...so glad I used Lexan to make a mock firewall the Shawn BDA suggested !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I’m thinking I have the former trimmed properly now for height...I hope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I’m hoping I have it trimmed good now, the oscillating vibranting cutter works perfectly for cutting/trimming the fibreglass.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The paper former template has suggested spots for the clecos it’s a nice pattern so I used it...make sure to use rivet washers on the backside of the clecos and rivets.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Hopefully it fits well.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Showing the rivet washers on this side of the clecos.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Showing the rivet washers.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Showing the slight gap on each side with the former centered side to side. The clecos on sides go on now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I tried flexing the mock Lexan firewall forward and held it there while I drilled each of the two side cleco holes and after I put the side clecos in the firewall sprang back and is not at the perfect angle now...but I think it will be fine.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I have the boot cowl clamped with the mold line 1/4” ahead of firewall...this is supposed to be a good location for it.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Boot cowl mold Line 1/4” forward from firewall.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Pretty decent fit, I may add a little firewall in the corners but a fireproof sealant could be used too. But a good reason to use a mock firewall made with Lexan first. These gaps/fit will change with the windshield in place too though.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Just showing the windshield gap with the boot cowl clamped in a aproximat position.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Just a scrap piece of Lexan I tucked in just to see how it fits. The real windshield will go on the inside of the aluminum angles on the sides.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Extreme Windshield Installations

Front edge trimmed leaving a 1/8” gap between windshield and firewall for expansion.

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”