Extreme Windshield Installations

CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Re: Extreme Windshield

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

Clamping a strip of Lexan that is the same thickness as windshield so I can trim the sides of the fibreglass former down until the Lexan that is clamped down is level but not higher than my mock firewall. I had previously trimmed the firewall edge of fibreglass former bottom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

With the fibreglass former(comes with Extreme windshield Kit) flat against the mock firewall it’s aprox 26 degrees...this is where the Lexan windshield will attach to the top side of the fibreglass former.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed May 20, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

The angle is close but the top of the windshield bracket is higher and this is why the firewall will need to be flexed slightly forward so that the angle on the top of the fibreglass former matches the top of the front windshield bracket.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

With a straight edge from top of the fibreglass former(with the former flat against the firewall) the angle is 29 degrees...so a 3 degree difference at the moment...BUT this angle will increase as I trim the sides of the fibreglass former until it’s flush with the top of firewall(with the thickness of Lexan allowed for)
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I had a sheet metal guy bend the piece you see below the aluminum angle with a brake(that is what’s called the sunroof extension)...the angle is not perfect but I think it will be ok as the Lexan should flex enough to conform to the curve...I hope!
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Another view
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Sides of fibreglass former not trimmed yet
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Sides of fibreglass former not trimmed yet, this pic is taken with the fibreglass former flat against the firewall.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Pic taken with former flat against firewall.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trimmed 1/4” off the bottom of the sides of the fibreglass former, need to trim more just going slow so I don’t trim too much!
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trimmed another 1/4” off the bottom sides of former since last pic...starting to get close now.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Getting close but the fibreglass former is still too high by about two thicknesses of the Lexan windshield.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Fibreglass former trimmed down more on sides and also had to take the thickness of Lexan off the bottom front edge of it too. I will have to trim the bottom sides of the former a bit more to match the angle going up to the windshield bracket. These pics of the angles I forgot to level the fuselodge first for proper reference but the tail is 2.5 degrees higher than level in these pics. Angle on the angle finder is 30.5 degrees in this pic.
Last edited by CanadianSheepHunter on Wed May 20, 2020 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Showing the tail is 2.5 degrees high in reference to the other pics with angles taken.
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Trying to show how much mock firewall is above the former(I’m holding up the titanium to try and not have clutter in background of pic.

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”