Hello, Glad to be aboard, My life time dream is here!!!

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
DrHook

Hello, Glad to be aboard, My life time dream is here!!!

Post by DrHook »

My name is Chris
I just bought a used Kolb Firestar, that was in my price range.
It has some wind damage from a wind storm that pulled the anchors up, and flipped the airplane over.
Here are some pics, if I can get them attached to this message.
I plan to do a total Re-cover with polyfiber when I replace the damaged 6061 aluminum tubing on the left wing, & tail feathers.
I feel I got a pretty good deal on the plane. It came with lots of xtras. A trailer to move it, Radio & Headset, ESI, and all the manuels.
The 503 Rotax has only 186 hrs on it. Electric start, Oil injection, Warp prop, Tundra tires. New Heel brake set-up, and New landing gear to be put on.
Also got the original plans & building manuel with all the new revisions.
I got my work cut out for me, but when I get done, It will be a pretty good little plane. Would like to save money in the process but I will not cut any corners. I plan to take my time on every step, in detail.
So here we go. I can sure use some advice from you guys and appriciate any and all that is givin in advance.
Sincerely, Chris
Here is some pics, I like the one that was takin before the wind damage :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you want something done, the way you want it done, Do it Yourself!!!
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: plane pictures

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Chris,
               Couple of things that I've seen in your pictures.....

1.   Don't put the strobe on the Tail like it was.....( not on the tail at all )
   You DON'T need that extra weight back there (Looong ARM).....
    Kolbs are known to have "AFT CG's" ,was the batt for your Elec start in the "nose" ?
    It might not be a bad Idea, I'm carrying 16 lbs of "dead weight" in my nose.....
    Later, I'll probly put "my" 17lb batt up there...

2. During your rebuild....Change your tailwheel springs to "compression springs"
    like a screen door has.....I "made" mine.....I'll see if I can Find a picture....

3. You might like the cable guides that "I" and others use  ( Bicycle shop - CHEAP )
   it eliminates the "BIG LOOPS" ....I have them on my Carbs & Choke...
   Later , I will put them on my Brake Cables......Anything that you put them on
   "SHORTENS" the cable....So there's nothing else to change

I can't find the pictures that I was going to post......

I'l go take some......."Tailwheel compression springs" and the "Teflon Cable Guides"
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Clean up those Cables

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Chris,
            Your "First" picture.....All I see are those "Big Honkin Loops"

Here's something that you can buy at a Bicycle shop....about $3.00 ea

They have a Plastic/ Teflon "sleeve" in them.....Notice my "choke" 90's are a tighter radius

You want a "bigger" radius for your throttle control.....

To eliminate the Big Loop on my Oil injection...... I made a "NEW ARM", that way it

can be pulled "down" instead of having to be pulled "up" ( No hoop/ Loop )

Gotta Fly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by planecrazzzy on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Tailwheel springs

Post by planecrazzzy »

Here's some Pic's of the "Compression" tailwheel Springs

I also added my Prop extention for my IVO 66" -3 Blade ( IVO's "flex" more )

I notice you have a "B-Box".... I've heard that a Warp Prop is too heavy for "B"

Gotta Fly...
                                             Mike in MN  / N381PM
                Gotta Fly...
DrHook

Post by DrHook »

Thanks, for the info Mike. Good stuff. I have got all the old covering off, and now ready to order some 6061 tubing. I'm looking to find a place where I can get the polyfiber as well as the tubing.
Its a bit overwelming at time to see all the work I got to do, but little by little, I'll Getter Done.
Oh, and yes Mike the Battery is in the front.
If you want something done, the way you want it done, Do it Yourself!!!
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

What about BoB ???

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey,
       Remember the movie " What about Bob ? "  One thing you can learn from it....

BABY STEPS.......Don't think of "ALL YOU HAVE TO DO" ,

Single out your Projects....Take Baby steps....and before you know it...It'll be DONE

"I" built my plane this way.... Otherwise it looks too overwelming...

I'll be building my NEXT plane the SAME WAY

( Next plane-"Plans built" Steve Wittman "Tailwind W-10",Cruise 140-200 depends on engine size)

Do you have a "Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Catolog" ....They are FREE ( 1-877-4-SPRUCE )

I buy MOST of my stuff through them...

Gotta Fly...
                                                                          Mike in MN / N381PM

PS Go to the Kolb List....Ask about the "Rib Renforcing angles" and see if your Bow tip brace's are the Bigger 3/8 tubes

DrHook wrote:Thanks, for the info Mike. Good stuff. I have got all the old covering off, and now ready to order some 6061 tubing. I'm looking to find a place where I can get the polyfiber as well as the tubing.
Its a bit overwelming at time to see all the work I got to do, but little by little, I'll Getter Done.
Oh, and yes Mike the Battery is in the front.
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Introductions”