New Highlander from SC

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
yellow highlander

New Highlander from SC

Post by yellow highlander »

Former Vietnam helicopter pilot with a Just Aircraft Highlander with Superstol landing gear. Intend to put Dynon panel with ADS-B and auto pilot and do some serious traveling. Was told the plane was too slow for that and my answer is that I have spent the last 17 years sailing around the world at 8 knots on a 48' Sloop......so 90 knots is fast! Anybody in need of a great world cruising sail boat get in touch, as my boat is now on the market!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: New Highlander from SC

Post by Clark in AZ »

Welcome! Very Cool! Congrats on the acquisition, looks like a nice ride and your plans sound good. Oh, nice boat too! ;) Keep us posted on your progress and adventures. BTW, my oldest brother is a former Vietnam helicopter pilot too. Thanks for your service!

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
yellow highlander

Have now finished putting in a number of changes to cater for long trips and my past (frightening) experience associated with going inadvertently IFR a few times and being lucky enough to live through it.

I have added a Dynon Skyview HDX 11" panel, roll and pitch servos and AOA. The first problem was putting in the panel, as it was a case of 10lb of crap in a 5 lb bag issue. To cater for the panel we fabricated a mount that angled the bottom of the panel out at the bottom which allowed the bottom to clear the structural member at the bottom of the dash. This had the added benefit of putting the panel a a great viewing angle for me.
Panel mount.jpg
The second problem was mounting the AOA/Pitot tube in the wing without major reconstruction. The answer was to remove the wing tip fairing and insert a the mount we fabricated into the forward wing tube and run the air lines down the back wing tube. The mount was machined from a block of aluminum and has three screws for holding the pitot tube. The middle screw forces the hole open enough to slide in the pitot tube, while the fore and aft screws are to tighten down the assembly for flight. The screws are used to loosen the pitot tube, which allows the tube to be pushed into the wing (to very short anyway) when the wing is folded to prevent damage.
Pitot Mount.jpg
wing tip.jpg
The last problems were to do with mounting the two autopilot servos because the aircraft is already covered. We decided to mount the pitch servo under the left seat and connect the push-pull tube directly to the bottom of the control stick. With the servo mounted under an aluminum plate (which also serves as the mounting plate for the ADS-B receiver and the transponder). I did not like the idea of putting the servo aft of the baggage compartment. First it would be difficult to work back there (I weight too much and am too big to fit easily), second inspection is a problem and the under seat access is great (I put a quick release pin in the seat attachment). Perhaps worth noting, I did not buy the connection blocks for connecting the servos as I thought a simple connector would be better. Less connections/fail points, lower cost!
Pitch servo.jpg
The roll servo is mounted under the turtle deck on the structural member using Adel clamps.
Roll servo 3.jpg
The capstan drive connects to the control wires and pulls in-line with the aileron cable going over the mount in a tray machined from nylon.
Roll servo 2.jpg
The capstan wire goes under the mount. The location seems to be the most direct connection to the ailerons thereby reducing SLOP to a minimum.
roll servo 1.jpg
The roll servo added a bit of resistance to the lateral movement of the control stick, so we added Spades to neutralise the effort. They work very well!
Spade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PPGFlyer

Post by PPGFlyer »

How's the autopilot working on that highlander?
yellow highlander

It is working very well thanks! I had to do some minor tweaking in the in-flight autopilot setup menu, but the Dynon instruction sheet lead me through the process. There remains a bit of roll twitchyness but it does everything that I wanted.
pbsinohio

Post by pbsinohio »

I was considering this location, but on my Escapade, the aileron to aileron (cross over) cable doesn't have uniform tension throughout travel. On my Escapade the cable becomes limp at the EOT and only tight at the center. Is this a difficulty with your installation? Does the servo have any slack in its operation?

I like the spades.
yellow highlander

I have not noticed a significant difference in tension throughout the range of travel in the crossover cable for the ailerons. I don't think that slack at full travel would adversely affect the operation, as in flight the controls are more or less centered. The amount of aileron movement under autopilot it not very noticable. I have watched the ailerons while flying and I can see very slight movement to accomplish straight and level as well as turning flight. I am very pleased with the operation of the autopilot even though it tends to "hunt back and forth" a little more than when I am flying.

When folding the wings, be sure to watch the trailing edge of the flaps to make sure they clear the servo.

Return to “Introductions”