Hello From the Memphis area

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
geosnooker2000

Hello From the Memphis area

Post by geosnooker2000 »

Hello everybody. Glad to be here. I am not a pilot, and I don't know if I ever will be, but it has been a life-long dream of mine to become one. I started studying my stepfather's ground-school text books when I was in my teens back in the mid '80s, and I have been a subscriber of Kitplanes magazine for about 15 years now. Something financial always seems to get in the way. I have been looking hard at the Sling 4 place, but I know I can not afford $65K in kit expenses. What I figure my best chance to become a home builder is to build from plans with raw materials and it will just take a lot longer. And that's fine with me. I have so many questions, and they will probably NOT pertain to any kit, but just general construction questions that I can't seem to find answers to on the internet.

Here is a "for instance". I envision building my plane with yokes instead of a stick. But I googled "airplane Yoke for sale" "Used airplane yoke for sale" thinking MAYBE $50.... no, it seems at least $200 per. I figured some aftermarket company out there would be spitting them out for a $100 or so a piece? And I thought there would be some airplane salvage yards somewhere in middle america where you could go get parts (like yokes) for dirt cheap but all I can find are salvage yards that want $1000 for a 1966 Cecena yoke system. $6000 for a 1973 bonaza wing, etc...

Point being, I will probably be trying to design my own plane, and I will have some questions about, for example, how to design the wing/fuselage intersection as it pertains to structural stability. in which forum should I ask those type of questions?
Thanks,
George

Return to “Introductions”