Howdy from Colorado

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
ScubaSteve

Howdy from Colorado

Post by ScubaSteve »

Formerly from Divide, currently in Denver and moving to Grand Junction this summer (2014).

I've just been cleared by the boss to pursue becoming a Sport Pilot :shock:, I had to give up sailing, diving, and shooting, sell the horses, hang up my spurs and do some dishes. No problem-o, I'm all in!

2014 is flight training and come 2015 it's time to pick my poison, the JA Highlander is at the top of my wish list.

I'm ex-Navy (subs/sonar), former salvage diver and permanent gear-head. And somehow I found work as a software engineer.

Looking forward to the journey and contributing to the sport!
steelfish

Re: Howdy from Colorado

Post by steelfish »

Quick update - in June-2017 purchased an awesome JA Highlander from Eastern Canada (builder Jack Leroux). Had trailer custom built, drove from Colorado to Madawaska, ON, de-registered, loaded her up, crossed the border, drove back to Colorado, re-registered, new U.S airworthiness and into the air. The paperwork alone was a huge effort. If anyone is looking for guidance on U.S. import from Canada I have some experience. Been flying in the high country, South Park area (dirt strip near Wilkerson Pass) and made a long cross-country to Escondido, CA. Plane is super, may great hours ahead. Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twotterdrvr79

Post by Twotterdrvr79 »

Nice ride man! I keep looking at everyones Highlander and drooling and yours is pretty RAD! What engine do you have? Are you liking Grand Junction? I used to fly for Twin Otter Airborne Research there in GJ. Miss that plane.... Flying the corporate job now.... Pays better so, I think I need to build a Highlander! Would love to know more about your plane!
-Will
steelfish

Post by steelfish »

Twotterdrvr79 wrote:Nice ride man! I keep looking at everyones Highlander and drooling and yours is pretty RAD! What engine do you have? Are you liking Grand Junction? I used to fly for Twin Otter Airborne Research there in GJ. Miss that plane.... Flying the corporate job now.... Pays better so, I think I need to build a Highlander! Would love to know more about your plane!
-Will
Thanks Will! I'm just the driver, the real credit goes to the builder Jacques Leroux from Canada, a 2014 build. I've seen a lot of Highlanders in the past few years and I have to say Jacques did a fantastic build, compliments from children to A&P's to FAA inspectors on the build details. Stick handles are made of elk horn, cockpit is heated and fully insulated (baggage and cockpit canvas separator for extreme cold) with heavy cowl cover and summertime cockpit canvass cover. Rotax 912S powered. After much hand wringing over a turbo upgrade, I had Ronnie Smith's big bore kit put in last year due to routine high altitude mountain flying. Still have a turbo option but GJ's low altitude should cure that illness. My previous strip 93CO is at 8,800Ft and regular crossing of 12,000Ft passes had me 'repinking' my knuckles too often. I prefer GJ (4,800') over South Park (8,800') for obvious flying reasons but GJ is also where I'm retiring.

Panel is Garmin aera 795 and G5 with Dynon D10 and HACman mix control let's me cruise at ~4GPH (~500NM max range is too far for anyone's bladder). She also has dual brake pucks and straight skis restored from a 1930's Cub. Never had any trouble (knocking on wood) and have made trips from Mexico to Canada. After a few high hop landings I added main gear shocks from ACME. Now she drops in from 6' and no bounce! A 9-year old girl could land her on a river bar. *Very* nice handling airplane.

Cheers!
Twotterdrvr79

Post by Twotterdrvr79 »

Sorry for the delayed response! I just saw this... Well, I made a purchase! I bought a built Highlander with the 912 ULS Big Bore. I LOVE it! aside from the constant exhaust problems, but the previous owner is being very kind and offering to make it right for me. I already purchased the Apex snowmobile and now it is a waiting game to install that engine! It is looking as though I may be flying smoke jumpers this summer and I may be in GJ with my plane. We should go bounce around! Shoot me a text if you want and maybe we can meet up. 785-764-2663.
-Will
steelfish

Post by steelfish »

Twotterdrvr79 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response! I just saw this... Well, I made a purchase! I bought a built Highlander with the 912 ULS Big Bore. I LOVE it! aside from the constant exhaust problems, but the previous owner is being very kind and offering to make it right for me. I already purchased the Apex snowmobile and now it is a waiting game to install that engine! It is looking as though I may be flying smoke jumpers this summer and I may be in GJ with my plane. We should go bounce around! Shoot me a text if you want and maybe we can meet up. 785-764-2663.
-Will
Howdy Will - congrats on your Highlander! Nothing like the feeling of your own bird under you. I see your diving right into the high HP game, I'm right behind you but looking towards the Edge Performance turbo/EFI upgrade up to 165HP. Unbelievably, between winter (a real factor in the high country), work, selling my house in Divide, moving to GJ and the virus I haven't flown in 6-months. My plane is at Mac in her trailer now. Moving her to a covered tie-down at GJT next weekend. I'll text you so we can keep in touch, hopping around the area this summer sounds great. Cheers!
steelfish

Post by steelfish »

steelfish wrote:
Twotterdrvr79 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response! I just saw this... Well, I made a purchase! I bought a built Highlander with the 912 ULS Big Bore. I LOVE it! aside from the constant exhaust problems, but the previous owner is being very kind and offering to make it right for me. I already purchased the Apex snowmobile and now it is a waiting game to install that engine! It is looking as though I may be flying smoke jumpers this summer and I may be in GJ with my plane. We should go bounce around! Shoot me a text if you want and maybe we can meet up. 785-764-2663.
-Will
Howdy Will - congrats on your Highlander! Nothing like the feeling of your own bird under you. I see your diving right into the high HP game, I'm right behind you but looking towards the Edge Performance turbo/EFI upgrade up to 165HP. Unbelievably, between winter (a real factor in the high country), work, selling my house in Divide, moving to GJ and the virus I haven't flown in 6-months. My plane is at Mac in her trailer now. Moving her to a covered tie-down at GJT next weekend. I'll text you so we can keep in touch, hopping around the area this summer sounds great. Cheers!
Oops! Forgot to ask for some pictures...

Return to “Introductions”