I've got a question....or two....or three......

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
Bill Sellen

I've got a question....or two....or three......

Post by Bill Sellen »

Hi, new member here. My name is Bill Sellen. Been bouncing around the web agonizing over the plane to choose for my first build attempt. Will appreciate feedback from fellow members. I'm interested in wood construction with a 4 cycle (probably VW) engine, single place, with a build time of not more than 350 hours.
To all, Happy Holidays, short winter and fair skies,
Bill[/b]
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

With that sorta build time you must be looking at a VP1 or 2!
Cheers,
John
Go love a biplane today :)
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

KITPLANES Magazine has a good article about this very topic at http://www.kitplanes.com/hobby/firsttimebuilders.html

Give it a read.

I selected the VP-2 based on a number of factors. The main one being that the VP-2 can be built within my limited budget and still give me the performance I want.

My good friend Dave York is building an Airbike. It also fits my budget but does not fit the mission I want. Selecting an aircraft is a major decision. It really has to be something that you can get excited about. I'm sure anyone here will tell you that even the most simple plane is still going to take a sizeable investment of time and cold hard cash.

I expect my VP-2 to take around $6,500 for the aircraft, $4,000 to $6,000 for the Firewall forward setup, and another $4,000 to $6,000 for the panel.

The published build times that most designers and kit makers give you are for the airframe only and assume that you have a fully tooled shop, are already a great wood, composite, or metal worker and that you will loose no time picking up from where you left off when you have to take a break from building. They can be a guide for comparison but take with a grain of salt. Engine, instruments, upholstery, and paint will take more time.

Sean C.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Bill, do you have anything in mind?
What about your favourite styles of aeroplane?
John
Go love a biplane today :)

Return to “Introductions”