New 601 HDS Owner

For general discussion of the Zenith Aircraft CH-601 and CH-650 Series
jeffglass

New 601 HDS Owner

Post by jeffglass »

And a Happy New Year to all, especially those who are flying! I just bought a rather well used 601 HDS last week. It was built in 1999 and flew off its restrictions in early 2002. The plane has TT 270 and the engine was O timed (O-235 L2C) in 1997. The logbook is also showing 270 hours. The prop is a WarpDrive ground adjustable 3 blade. The plane is well equipped radiowise with a Garmin 250XL GPS/ NAV/COM, a Terra 250 Transponder and a Terra encoding altimeter. It also has a full vacuum system with backup. However, the former owner did NO maintance on the plane and for starters it needs new nose gear Bungees, the main gear struts have to be dropped and de-corrosioned. At the same time I'll replace the main bungees since they're gonna be off. I'm thinking of replacing the 2 1080HD bungees with one 1280 HD on each side so as to make the main gear less stiff. Any thoughts or comments?
I also need to check with the factory to see if the wing spar plate AD has been conformed with. The left side steering rod is bent and needs to be replaced and there are lots of other little things that need attention. Like cabin heat! I've also got to lowe the seat height at least 2" and I think that's going to be a major project unto itself. I'm open to any suggestions for inprovements at this point so please let me know your
thoughts. BTW I'm locatedin West Central New JErsey and fly out of Alexandria Field, N85 if anyone is close enough or is interested in flying in for a chat. I'll trade rides in your 601 for rides in my Cub.
Jeffrey L Glasserow
Zenith CH601 HDS
N6384E
Piper J3 Cub
NC38347
Zenvair601

Steering Rod

Post by Zenvair601 »

Congratulations Jeff:

It sounds like you have a little bit of work on your hands, but not too much. The steering rods are easily built, so that should be no big deal. I made mine different from the plans and I think better. I didn't use the threaded rod, since I didnt' want the threads rubbing on the seals. I used a solid rod and gas-welded the tab on one end and a bolt on the other. I think it will be stronger.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Scott Laughlin

Return to “Zodiac”