Aircraft Wood

For the technical discussion of aircraft airframe construction to include tips, techniques, questions, and recommendations.
Gordon Arnaut

Aircraft Wood

Post by Gordon Arnaut »

Hello to All,

As promised in my introduction, I intend to post some documents on aircraft wood that I have found useful.

I will start with Chapter One of AC43.13b, which is a 46-page pdf file (1.4 MB) that gives a very good overview of all aspects and recommended practises of dealing with aircraft wood--from selecting wood, to repair, to gluing and many more subjects.

I also have several interesting, although somewhat technical, NACA reports on subjects relating to aircraft wood. If there is interest, I will be happy to post those as well.

Regards,

Gordon Arnaut.
Ontario, Canada.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gordon Arnaut
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Thanks Gordon, keep em coming :)
John
Go love a biplane today :)
Gordon Arnaut

Aircraft Woods

Post by Gordon Arnaut »

I'm adding a NACA report called Aircraft Woods: Their Properties, Selection and Characteristics.

It was authored in the early 1930s by an engineer at the Forest Products Laboratory, which has done a number of Technical Reports for NACA on the subject of aircraft wood.

It's a 34-page document, and, although a little technical, it is an interesting read and offers all the data you will ever need on comparing various species of wood for aircraft use.

So if you are thinking of substituting something else for spruce, this is a good reference.

Regards,

Gordon.
Gordon Arnaut
Gordon Arnaut

Retry Uploading Attachment

Post by Gordon Arnaut »

Looks like My file attachment didn't come through. I tried three times, but no luck.

The file is 2.8MB, so it's within the 5MB limit. So I'm assuming there's a glitch with the server.

--Gordon
Gordon Arnaut
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Server 2MB per file limit

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Sorry, the site server has a 2mb per file limit for this method of posting files. You could either zip them and then post or, if they won't compress enough, send them to me via email and I'll put them on the site and link them for download.

Sean
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Aircraft Wood Naca Report-354.pdf

Thanks to Gordon Arnaut for this file
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."

Return to “Airframe Construction”