Builder’s withdrawal

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Builder’s withdrawal

Post by danerazz »

So, I got my plane signed off in September, made a few adjustments, need to make a couple more and it should be good to fly.

The problem is I have not even been to the airport in over a month now because I am spending ALL my time doing all of the things my wife thinks I should have been doing the last few years instead of building the plane.

This is really frustrating, but I definitely am realizing just how much “real world” stuff I neglected the last few years.

I’m hoping to make some real progress the next two weeks as most of the big projects are wrapping up.

My point is: As I was getting close to being “done” all I wanted was to BE DONE building after a very (too) long build process so I could fly it. Now that it is pretty much done (except for flying) I miss building. Instead of having to commit a whole day (or half a day) to drive to the airport only to find I am missing a tool to do something, I find myself again wishing for my long-term project that I can go spend the odd hour here or there simply by going to the basement or garage.

Another thing I have noticed: I have always been “handy,” but since building the plane and making so many custom parts, and figuring out the engine mounting, boot cowl and cowl, electrical system, and everything else to mount the radial, I find myself much more confident and likely to take on fabrication projects around the house and shop.

This whole process has changed how I think about every project. And I have scrap aluminum, steel, rivets, and other hardware and tools. These become really useful for all kinds of stuff around the house.

I need to build another plane.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: Builder’s withdrawal

Post by Clark in AZ »

LOL! I'm at the point that I want to get it done. I'm ready to fly. Not tired of building but definitely ready to get it in the air.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dane,
I know how you feel. The amount of fabrication you needed to accomplish makes most "around the house" projects take on a new meaning... I finished the Highlander 6.5 years ago and really need to find a project. Try and find something that pushes you to learn new fabrication skills. My first build was a PulsarXP which was pretty much all composite. Second was an RV7A, mostly aluminum. Third was the Highlander. Would love to do something primarily out of wood next, the Sequoia Falco F.8L is a super nice plane.

I plan on retiering in the next couple of years, should have plenty of time for build/restore something!

Gary

BTW.
Really looking forward to some in air video of your beautiful Highlander.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I am having the same problem.

So many things have been pushed asside, now all I want to do is fly, but so many things to do.

I have decided to build another wing, even longer, with longer flaps and struts. Looking for more float.

The next plane is always the best one.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Gary,

I just met a guy at work that recently finished a 26 (yes twenty-six!) year build of a Falco. Really nice job on it. He did it smart and bought stuff (engine, radios, instruments) as he found it for good deals.

Shawn,

I have been toying with building a set of all-metal wings. This is on the “definite-maybe” list for me too.

Otherwise I am thinking of something aluminum for project number 2.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Dane,
You are in Maine... I would have thought that building a set of Zenair 1450 amphibs would be next on the list! Although it's a little tedious installing a bazillion rivets, it's a logical next step for you. I have flown over Maine a few times on my way to Canadian Maritime provinces and it looks like an absolutely beautiful place to fly a seaplane, especially Moosehead Lake and the Twin Lakes region. You have so many lakes within an hour's flight from you that you would never run out of places to fly and enjoy! The Highlander makes a terrific float plane.
Regards,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I have thought about it, but as nice as maine is, it is only for a short time each year. The taxes, politics, and my four hour drive to work make me want to leave the state. That is a driving force behind a lot of my decisions lately.

Quick rundown of Maine seasons:
Winter
Mud
Black fly (black flies matter)
Mosquito
Back to short black fly
Nice few weeks of summer
Couple nice weeks of fall
Winter
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane, Good luck with your decision. I have only a 35 minute drive the KCMH and then a 2+30 flight to KDFW to go to work. BUT I've been doing it for 37 years. 19 months to go. I think I'll build floats and Modify my Highlander for Shits and Giggles through retirement.

We need to all meetup at 2022 AirVenture! Get you reservations NOW. That year will be a BLOWOUT!

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

BucF16 wrote:We need to all meetup at 2022 AirVenture! Get you reservations NOW. That year will be a BLOWOUT!

Yeah, if everything isn’t cancelled/out of business because of COVID-21...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”