Upgrading a Highlander or buying a Superstol?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
oz_p

Upgrading a Highlander or buying a Superstol?

Post by oz_p »

My mission is visiting off airport places for fun, fishing, maybe even some hunting. And the ability to share the experience. Frequent some fly ins and friendly competitions. Maybe some barnstorming.

I won't be spending a lot of money on avionics, glass panels, etc.

The things that Mr. Henry has done to enhance the Highlander performance is amazing and a testament to the design. And I'm going to contact him and ask a few questions.

But based on what I can glean from what people are doing and the pricing sheets, it doesn't take long to get a Highlander into Superstol money. I was just adding in my head and I got to $15,000 without much trouble.

Which brings me to my subject line. What do you guys think?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Upgrading a Highlander or buying a Superstol?

Post by danerazz »

Definitely talk to Steve Henry. Some of the minor things that make a big difference are cheap and easy (flap gap seals, VGs (pretty much standard on highlanders), and the leading edge mod). Beyond that, I think you are looking at big money for small gains. Out of curiosity, what mods did you come up with to add up to $15,000?

The SS is cool, but it costs not an insignificant amount more, and some of the gains are offset by higher weight. And make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples on options.

Again, Steve is a good starting point for that discussion. You can do A LOT with a stock Highlander. Steve’s original videos on YouTube were in a mostly stock Highlander, and he did amazing stuff.

Then there is the question of “is the limiting factor really the plane, or the pilot...?”
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Another thing to think about -

I have found the superstol is VERY unlike any other airplane that I have flown.

I am not a high time pilot and it is a learning curve but it is a transition to a new way of flying.

It scares my buddies that are high time, they are not ok with the difference.

To fly it to its potential it must be flown that way.

You can fly a Superstol like any other plane - but then whats the point ?

I am really happy with my Superstol - it is incredible! But I may be ruined for other aircraft.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
oz_p

Post by oz_p »

danerazz wrote:Definitely talk to Steve Henry. Some of the minor things that make a big difference are cheap and easy (flap gap seals, VGs (pretty much standard on highlanders), and the leading edge mod). Beyond that, I think you are looking at big money for small gains. Out of curiosity, what mods did you come up with to add up to $15,000?

The SS is cool, but it costs not an insignificant amount more, and some of the gains are offset by higher weight. And make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples on options.

Again, Steve is a good starting point for that discussion. You can do A LOT with a stock Highlander. Steve’s original videos on YouTube were in a mostly stock Highlander, and he did amazing stuff.

Then there is the question of “is the limiting factor really the plane, or the pilot...?”
I guess I got a little lost in the numbers. I guess there's have that much actually with the gear/tire upgrades and the leading edge and the CF wing slats. it would probably approach $15000 using Oratex as a covering with most of the mods listed. https://www.wildwestaircraft.com/wp-con ... -22-20.pdf

Is the leading edge mod you spoke of these carbon fiber slats, the aluminum leading edge wrap or the custom leading edge wing cuffs?
oz_p

Post by oz_p »

BDA wrote:Another thing to think about -

I have found the superstol is VERY unlike any other airplane that I have flown.

I am not a high time pilot and it is a learning curve but it is a transition to a new way of flying.

It scares my buddies that are high time, they are not ok with the difference.

To fly it to its potential it must be flown that way.

You can fly a Superstol like any other plane - but then whats the point ?

I am really happy with my Superstol - it is incredible! But I may be ruined for other aircraft.
Could you describe what you're speaking of?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

oz_p wrote: Is the leading edge mod you spoke of these carbon fiber slats, the aluminum leading edge wrap or the custom leading edge wing cuffs?

I’m talking about the fiberglass leading edge cuffs that Steve sells. If you do the basics, it will not cost too much and will give you 90% of the performance. That is enough to do anything any mortals would do for practical, non-competition type flying. That last 10% costs you a lot of money, time, and money. And a lot of money.

Just because an upgrade costs a lot, it doesn’t mean you get that proportion back in performance.

Beringer makes a VERY nice $6000 gear setup, but it isn’t going to make the plane fly the 20% of the kit price better.

If you are doing off airport a lot, get some tundra tires, put the plane on the extreme gear (from the factory, I recommend that just for the aesthetics not to mention it is quite a bit beefier), put flap gap seals, leading edge cuffs, VGs on, keep it light, and fly it. Anything else is incremental performance gains for the price and is great, if you want to pay for it.

Then again, I hung a 220# radial engine on mine, so take it for what it’s worth.

I WOULD do the QB wings and wings set to fuselage, very cheap for what you get, saves a TON of time.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
oz_p

Post by oz_p »

danerazz wrote:
oz_p wrote: Is the leading edge mod you spoke of these carbon fiber slats, the aluminum leading edge wrap or the custom leading edge wing cuffs?

I’m talking about the fiberglass leading edge cuffs that Steve sells. If you do the basics, it will not cost too much and will give you 90% of the performance. That is enough to do anything any mortals would do for practical, non-competition type flying. That last 10% costs you a lot of money, time, and money. And a lot of money.

Just because an upgrade costs a lot, it doesn’t mean you get that proportion back in performance.

Beringer makes a VERY nice $6000 gear setup, but it isn’t going to make the plane fly the 20% of the kit price better.

If you are doing off airport a lot, get some tundra tires, put the plane on the extreme gear (from the factory, I recommend that just for the aesthetics not to mention it is quite a bit beefier), put flap gap seals, leading edge cuffs, VGs on, keep it light, and fly it. Anything else is incremental performance gains for the price and is great, if you want to pay for it.

Then again, I hung a 220# radial engine on mine, so take it for what it’s worth.

I WOULD do the QB wings and wings set to fuselage, very cheap for what you get, saves a TON of time.
Thanks for the input and insight! Tell me about your radial if you don't mind? Is that a Rotec? I thought a Radial would be the ticket on a plane like this. Maybe a 7 cylinder Verner.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

oz_p wrote: Could you describe what you're speaking of?
When you slow down enough for the slats to deploy, the nose is high, and you have a deck angle that your experience is telling you that the plane will stall and wing over at any second. BUT - you can slow down 10-15 MORE and still have full aileron control.

Then there is the sink rate
With full flaps and slats out and low power it has a pretty high sink rate, very much like a parachute - faster than a slip.
BUT
If you keep adding power - way more than you think you should - the plane will “flare” and set you down and STOP!

All the “sight pictures” and seat of pants feelings you get learning to fly and become habits are all just wrong in a superstol.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
stpilot09
Forum Regular

Post by stpilot09 »

BDA wrote:
oz_p wrote: Could you describe what you're speaking of?
When you slow down enough for the slats to deploy, the nose is high, and you have a deck angle that your experience is telling you that the plane will stall and wing over at any second. BUT - you can slow down 10-15 MORE and still have full aileron control.

Then there is the sink rate
With full flaps and slats out and low power it has a pretty high sink rate, very much like a parachute - faster than a slip.
BUT
If you keep adding power - way more than you think you should - the plane will “flare” and set you down and STOP!

All the “sight pictures” and seat of pants feelings you get learning to fly and become habits are all just wrong in a superstol.
Pretty much sums it up! The first time you see the "SuperSTOL" approach its a bit unnerving. I would suggest find someone with a SS and get some time in it first.

Tim
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

oz_p wrote: Thanks for the input and insight! Tell me about your radial if you don't mind? Is that a Rotec? I thought a Radial would be the ticket on a plane like this. Maybe a 7 cylinder Verner.
It is a Rotec R2800. I had to redesign the firewall and boot cowl to try to get a decent transition, and I built a (terrible) fiberglass cowl to cover from the firewall to the exhaust ring. The engine will remain exposed. (I HATE fiberglass, and painting, and it shows)

My inspection is next week, so I am down to crunch time to get everything the way I want it. There are some details I could finish after, but I just want it “done” after 9(!) years of it taking up my basement and garage (not to mention income).

Almost done! (Well, flyable, they are never really “done”)

If you have specific questions I’d be happy to answer.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I dont mean to be discouraging in the slightest.

My airplane is incredible! And I wouldnt change anything. (If I were doing it again)

You just need to go into that big a purchase with all the info.
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
oz_p

Post by oz_p »

danerazz wrote:
oz_p wrote: Thanks for the input and insight! Tell me about your radial if you don't mind? Is that a Rotec? I thought a Radial would be the ticket on a plane like this. Maybe a 7 cylinder Verner.
It is a Rotec R2800. I had to redesign the firewall and boot cowl to try to get a decent transition, and I built a (terrible) fiberglass cowl to cover from the firewall to the exhaust ring. The engine will remain exposed. (I HATE fiberglass, and painting, and it shows)

My inspection is next week, so I am down to crunch time to get everything the way I want it. There are some details I could finish after, but I just want it “done” after 9(!) years of it taking up my basement and garage (not to mention income).

Almost done! (Well, flyable, they are never really “done”)

If you have specific questions I’d be happy to answer.
I can't wait to see some video!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

https://youtu.be/pa0Jq4l5AVw

Not new, but first start a few months ago
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
oz_p

Post by oz_p »

danerazz wrote:https://youtu.be/pa0Jq4l5AVw

Not new, but first start a few months ago
Very cool, thanks!

Return to “Just Aircraft”