Data plate marking

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Data plate marking

Post by danerazz »

Not one to do anything easy, I was not impressed with local engraving for my data plate. I like the small, three line EAA plate that comes with the certification pack. I did some research and decided to build an electro etcher. About $50 later I had a simple AC/DC 6/12v output etching power supply. I have a Brother PTP-700 label maker so I bought their stencil tape and gave it a shot. The results on stainless were good, and great on aluminum. I will use it to mark the fuel caps, oil cap, and a few other things.

The EAA data plate came out well, but the EAA printing lifted with masking tape. I had to redesign and make my own plate.

The picture has the EAA plate, a slightly over-developed one, a good one (cut lines drawn for later), and then another slightly over developed one. I used salt and vinegar for the electrolyte, and was playing with the settings on each one (12/6v, DC etch plus AC mark vs. just AC marking, etc.).

The metal is stainless steel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Data plate marking

Post by danerazz »

Here is my DIY electro-etch rig and the finished data plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Dane,
Looks like a nice setup...
I noticed your serial number includes the date, have never seen that before.

BTW My kit was 249 and that's what on the plate, and of course all the paperwork.

Gary
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Yeah, that is what was on my bill of sale (from Just), so that is what went on my registration, which obviously means that has to match the data plate. I don’t know why they put that on the bill of sale, or maybe they do that on all of them and I am just over thinking it. I just wanted everything to match.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I have a riveted plate on the square tubing pilot side that holds the flap handle mechanism. It has the serial number with date embossed on it.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The only marking on my fuselage was on the throttle mount plate that gets covered by the panel, it said “242” and was, again, sharpie. I guess they have grown up a bit!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”