Electric Trim

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Utah-Jay

Electric Trim

Post by Utah-Jay »

Just watched a few video’s about the SuperStol, the YouTube video was fairly old and I am wondering if the Highlander or SuperStol now have electric trim?

Thanks in advance
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: Electric Trim

Post by Clark in AZ »

I believe they still come with the manual trim but you can upgrade it yourself. Many have done it and there are several threads on here showing how...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Utah-Jay

Post by Utah-Jay »

Clark in AZ wrote:I believe they still come with the manual trim but you can upgrade it yourself. Many have done it and there are several threads on here showing how...

Clark
Thanks Clark

Can it be done after the build, as in buying a used plane?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

There is a mounting point on the left elevator that the actuator is typically attached to. You could also modify the system to electrically actuate the manual push/pull cable, but that kind of defeats the purpose. If you are careful you should be able to attach the actuator or a mounting bracket with pop rivets. Then just run the wiring to the cockpit control of your choice. Worst case is recovering the left elevator.

Moral of the story is: if you want it bad enough, it really would not be that difficult to add after the fact.

The question is: do you really gain anything?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I have electric trim on my Cherokee 180. I very seldom us it. When I do use it, I'm always guessing how much (actuation time)to use, and it takes a few seconds to see the planes reaction. I find it easier to do fine tune the manual trim as I am hand flying. The Highlander I fly from time to time has only manual trim and I find it the same. Easy to use. Another problem with the Ray Allen trim is that if it fails, you are stuck with what you have. Although I sure that is rare.

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I always wonder if the folks who want electric trim have ever flown with electric trim. I've flown planes with electric trim and all of them were a nuisance. The only reason to have electric trim is if it needed for an auto-pilot system. The best thing about an electric trim system is the OFF switch.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

I'm doing it for the auto pilot.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ