Eliminating the Header Tanks

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Eliminating the Header Tanks

Post by danerazz »

Agreed, I was not sure if he was trying to get rid of the header in his setup or not.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

I know this is radical but I would do away with both wing tanks, header tanks and just use 1 tank behind the seats. So much easier, lighter, easy refueling, folding wings. So many other pluses. I have built a Highlander so I do have a right to an opinion.You may disagree but many folding, high wing planes have their tank behind the seats in a 2 place.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

There are a lot of benefits, but one HUGE negative of 25 gallons of fuel soaking you in an accident as a 150lb vessel breaks free, ruptures and turns a survivable accident into a firey death.

Okay, that was a little dramatic, but not wrong.

Also, huge CG change with fuel load changes.

Now, a belly tank would be intriguing.

In the end, everything is a compromise and it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. That is true with everything from adel clamps vs. zip ties, non-aircraft hardware, design modifications, and even just deciding to build a plane vs. buying certified.

My opinion, and worth everything you paid for it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
EchoWhiskey
Seasoned Member

Post by EchoWhiskey »

I flew in an RV-12 a few years back and was astonished to learn that the fuel tank(behind the seat) was an aluminum fab(riveted) with a sealcoat. Unlikely to survive a hard landing resulting in said gas bath.

My original post was ignorant of the fact that the Apex returns 90% of the fuel to its source (wing or header). So I opted for 2 headers fabricated for about $500 with ports and a mount for fuel senders. I found a good deal on an Andair fuel selector with return ports so fuel returns from whence it came. A bit busy but it is all plumbed with aluminum with a short SS braided section to the tanks. I also used the valved quick connects at the wings should I ever need to remove for some reason or another and for ease of folding. Will post pics when done. Certainly overkill BUT....
Ed Whitaker
Humble Novice

What do you get when things don't go as planned? Experience.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

EchoWhiskey wrote:I flew in an RV-12 a few years back and was astonished to learn that the fuel tank(behind the seat) was an aluminum fab(riveted) with a sealcoat. Unlikely to survive a hard landing resulting in said gas bath.

My original post was ignorant of the fact that the Apex returns 90% of the fuel to its source (wing or header). So I opted for 2 headers fabricated for about $500 with ports and a mount for fuel senders. I found a good deal on an Andair fuel selector with return ports so fuel returns from whence it came. A bit busy but it is all plumbed with aluminum with a short SS braided section to the tanks. I also used the valved quick connects at the wings should I ever need to remove for some reason or another and for ease of folding. Will post pics when done. Certainly overkill BUT....
I'm interested in your fuel quick disconnects. Love to see a pic of them.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

https://www.jegs.com/v/Jiffy-tite/517

I lifted this from EW’s first post
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”